Equations of Tangents to ln x at x = 1/2 | Logarithm Homework

In summary, the homework statement is that find the equations of the tangents to the following graphs for the given values of x. The attempted solution is that the student is having trouble understanding how to differentiate ln x and is looking for help. They have found the derivative of the function and found that by substitution the slope of the line tangent to the graph must be equal to -2.
Maatttt0

Homework Statement

Find the equations of the tangents to the following graphs for the given values of x.

(a) y = ln x, where x = 1/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know ln x differentiated is 1/x but I cannot see when the rest fall into the place. The book I'm using doesn't explain it at all well.

Answer: y = 2x - ln 2 - 1

Thank you for looking :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You have correctly identified the derivative of the function; you should then evaluate it at the point x=1/2 and remember that by the definition of the derivative, this will represent the SLOPE of the line tangent to the graph.

Can you work from there?

If you put 1/2 into 1/x you get 2.. so the tangent's gradient will be -2

The logarithm's are really getting to me.. :/

Maatttt0 said:
If you put 1/2 into 1/x you get 2.. so the tangent's gradient will be -2

The logarithm's are really getting to me.. :/

Yes you get 2, but why would that make the gradient equal to -2?

The equation for any general line is y=ax+b. You have just found the slope of this line, so it becomes:

y = 2x + b

How can you find b?

Hmm.. I must be confusing myself with something else :\

I'm following you so far (even though there's not much to follow lol).

Okay, I'm unsure how to work b :S

Maatttt0 said:
Hmm.. I must be confusing myself with something else :\

I'm following you so far (even though there's not much to follow lol).

Okay, I'm unsure how to work b :S

Since we are finding the tangent to the curve at x=1/2, we know that the line must pass through the point with coordinates (1/2, ln(1/2)). If you substitute this into the linear equation that we have so far developed, it will define what b must be equal to:

y = 2x + b
ln (1/2) = 2(1/2) + b
b = ln(1/2) - 1 = - ln(2) - 1

Does that make sense?

Ahh I understand it now - just these ln's cofusing me!

Well thank you very much danago for your help :D

Maatttt0 said:
Ahh I understand it now - just these ln's cofusing me!

Well thank you very much danago for your help :D

No worries :smile:

FAQ: Equations of Tangents to ln x at x = 1/2 | Logarithm Homework

1. What is the definition of tangent of logarithms?

The tangent of logarithms is a mathematical function that is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point on a logarithmic scale. It is calculated by taking the ratio of the sine and cosine of the logarithm.

2. How is the tangent of logarithms related to trigonometry?

The tangent of logarithms is closely related to trigonometry because it involves the use of trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. It is also used in trigonometric equations to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

3. What are some common applications of tangent of logarithms?

The tangent of logarithms has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the rate of change in various processes, such as radioactive decay and population growth.

4. How do you calculate the tangent of logarithms?

To calculate the tangent of logarithms, you can use a scientific calculator or a logarithm table. First, find the logarithm of the given number. Then, find the sine and cosine of the logarithm. Finally, divide the sine by the cosine to find the tangent.

5. Are there any limitations to using tangent of logarithms?

Like any mathematical concept, there are limitations to using the tangent of logarithms. It may not be applicable in all situations, and it may not give accurate results if the data is not in the correct form. Additionally, it is important to be careful when using logarithms with negative numbers, as they can produce complex numbers when calculating the tangent.

Back