Equidistribution of points on a sphere

In summary, I am struggling to find a way to count the number of irrational points defined recursively which satisfies specific conditions. This is the only hurdle I need to overcome, but the problem is proving itself extremely difficult.
iironiic
I am struggling to find a way to count the number of irrational points defined recursively which satisfies specific conditions. This is the only hurdle I need to overcome, but the problem is proving itself extremely difficult.

Here is my construction of a recursion. My goal is to essentially prove that this recursion will guarantee a set of equidistributed points.

Let [itex]α[/itex] and [itex]β[/itex] be any positive irrational value. Define [itex]u_n = \{n α\} = n α \mod 1[/itex] and [itex]v_n = \{n β\} = n β \mod 1[/itex].

Consider the spherical coordinates, defined as follows:

[itex]θ_n = 2 π u_n[/itex]

[itex]ψ_n = \arccos{2 v_n - 1}[/itex]

This construction guarentees uniform distribution of points on the surface of the sphere. To show equidistribution, consider a spherical cap [itex]S[/itex] with height [itex]h[/itex] on the unit sphere (sphere with radius one). Given a particular [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], my goal is to find the number of points that lie in [itex]S[/itex]. Inevitably, what I want to show is as follows:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\# p_n \in S}{n} = \frac{2 π h}{4π} = \frac{h}{2}[/itex].

This is equivalent to finding the number of [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] (we'll call this number [itex]k[/itex]) satisfying,

[itex]\displaystyle u_n \in \left(0, \frac{\arccos{\frac{1-h}{2\sqrt{v_n(1-v_n)}}}}{2 \pi} \right) \cup \left(1- \frac{\arccos{\frac{1-h}{2\sqrt{v_n(1-v_n)}}}}{2 \pi}, 1 \right)[/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle v_n \in \left( \frac{1-\sqrt{1-(1-h)^2}}{2} , \frac{1+\sqrt{1-(1-h)^2}}{2}\right)[/itex]

For all [itex]0 \leq h \leq 1[/itex]. I used Mathematica to find [itex]k[/itex] and it seems that [itex]\frac{k}{n} \rightarrow \frac{h}{2}[/itex] where [itex]n[/itex] denotes the number of points on the surface of the entire sphere.

My question is, how do you use the definition of [itex]u_n[/itex] and [itex]v_n[/itex] to determine at least, the bounds for [itex]k[/itex]? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll follow this with interest. We had to equally distribute points on a sphere (to do with cell towers). The only way of doing it that we could find was by simulated annealing.

iironiic said:
[itex]ψ_n = \arccos{2 v_n - 1}[/itex]
You mean this, right?
[itex]ψ_n = \arccos(2 v_n - 1)/itex]
Given a particular [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], my goal is to find the number of points that lie in [itex]S[/itex].
I think you mean, for a given [itex]m \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] you want the number of points n <= m in S.
Your expressions beyond that look much too complicated. Have you oriented the cap in the most convenient way? I get cos(2πun) = cos(θn) > 1 - h as the only constraint.

FAQ: Equidistribution of points on a sphere

1. What is the concept of equidistribution of points on a sphere?

Equidistribution of points on a sphere refers to the uniform distribution of points on the surface of a sphere. In other words, the points are evenly spaced and there are no clusters or gaps.

2. Why is equidistribution of points on a sphere important?

Equidistribution of points on a sphere is important in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and mathematics. It allows for more accurate calculations and predictions, and it is also aesthetically pleasing.

3. How can equidistribution of points on a sphere be achieved?

There are various methods for achieving equidistribution of points on a sphere, such as using a Fibonacci lattice, a spherical centroidal Voronoi tessellation, or a spherical spiral. Each method has its own advantages and limitations.

4. What are some applications of equidistribution of points on a sphere?

Equidistribution of points on a sphere has many practical applications, including in computer graphics, satellite positioning systems, and geodesy. It is also used in simulations and modeling of physical systems.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to achieving equidistribution of points on a sphere?

Yes, there are certain challenges and limitations to achieving equidistribution of points on a sphere. Some methods may not work well for certain types of surfaces or may be computationally expensive. Additionally, in some cases, a perfect equidistribution may not be possible due to the constraints of the system.