Equilibrium constant rules help.

In summary, the conversation discusses the rules for finding Kc from a chemical formula, with the professor demonstrating different values using different formula variations. The speaker questions the validity of this method and suggests that only the lowest common denominator formula should be used. However, it is mentioned that as long as the reaction quotient is written consistently, the final results will be the same. The importance of following the standard in order to avoid confusion and ensure clear communication is also highlighted.
madcat8000
I was wondering where i could find a source for the rules to find Kc from a chemical formula? My professor tonight was changeing the formula like this: H2+Br2+2HBr then showed that 2H2+2Br2=4HBr...and getting different Kc values for each. I think that this is straight out wrong but she's the nice sort so i thought id just email her some proof instead of making an *** out of myself. If i remember correctly only lowest common denominator formula can be used and absolutely no fractions at all. Could i be wrong(doubt it).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are right that we usually prefer lowest possible integer coefficients in the reaction equation. Trick is - it doesn't matter. While you will get different value for Kc, as long as you are consistent in the way you write reaction quotient, your final results - if you calculate equilibrium concentrations - will be the same. Same can be said about stoichiometric calculations - it is their ratio that is important, not absolute values of coefficients.

However, there is at least one important reason to follow the standard - you don't have to convert published Kc values, you always know what they mean, and when you publish them, others also know what you mean. It is like speaking the same language.

Related to Equilibrium constant rules help.

What is an equilibrium constant?

An equilibrium constant is a value that represents the ratio of the concentration of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is a measure of how far the reaction has proceeded towards completion.

How is an equilibrium constant calculated?

The equilibrium constant is calculated by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. This value can also be determined by measuring the equilibrium concentrations of the reactants and products.

Why are equilibrium constants important?

Equilibrium constants are important because they provide information about the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. They also allow for the prediction of the equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products.

What are the rules for writing an equilibrium constant expression?

The rules for writing an equilibrium constant expression are: 1) Only include species that are present in the balanced chemical equation, 2) Include the concentrations of each species, 3) The coefficients in the balanced equation become exponents in the expression, and 4) The equilibrium constant is written with units of concentration raised to the power of their coefficients.

How do equilibrium constant values relate to reaction spontaneity?

An equilibrium constant greater than 1 indicates that the reaction is more likely to proceed forward, while a value less than 1 indicates that the reaction is more likely to proceed in the reverse direction. A value of 1 indicates that the reaction is at equilibrium and is equally likely to proceed in either direction.

Back