Equilibrium normal reaction force problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a ball and the attempt at solving it using a FBD and equations. It is mentioned that there should be four different forces acting on the ball and a hint is given about the normal reaction force. However, the conversation ends with the realization that the question was answered incorrectly.
ThomasHW

Homework Statement

http://tunerspec.ca/school/question3.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be easy, but I'm tired and just can't do it. If anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be great. I tried making a FBD, and had the equations:
[tex]Tsin30^{\circ} - 752N = 0[/tex]
[tex]344N - Tcos30^{\circ} = 0[/tex]

But, that then gives me two different answers for T. So I'm lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
note: the question asks you about the normal reaction force, doesn't that give u a hint?

Is the answer 752N?

first identify all forces acting on the ball, draw a force diagram and then balance them.
there should be 4 different forces acting on the ball

Haha, well that means I got the question wrong. Damn.

[tex]Tsin30^{\circ} - 752N = 0[/tex]
[tex]344N - Tcos30^{\circ} = 0[/tex]

?

FAQ: Equilibrium normal reaction force problem

What is the concept of equilibrium normal reaction force?

The concept of equilibrium normal reaction force refers to the equal and opposite force that is exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. This force is perpendicular to the surface and is necessary to maintain the object's stability and prevent it from sinking into or falling through the surface.

How is the equilibrium normal reaction force calculated?

The equilibrium normal reaction force can be calculated using Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the force exerted by the object on the surface is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the surface on the object.

What factors affect the equilibrium normal reaction force?

The equilibrium normal reaction force is affected by the weight and mass of the object, as well as the material and angle of the surface it is in contact with. Other factors that can affect this force include the presence of other forces acting on the object, such as gravity or friction.

Why is understanding equilibrium normal reaction force important in science?

Understanding equilibrium normal reaction force is important in science because it helps us predict and explain the behavior of objects in contact with surfaces. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as mechanics, engineering, and physics, where the stability and balance of objects are essential for their functioning.

Can the equilibrium normal reaction force ever be greater than the weight of the object?

No, the equilibrium normal reaction force can never be greater than the weight of the object. This is because the weight of an object is the force of gravity acting on it, and according to Newton's Third Law, the normal reaction force is always equal and opposite to this force. Therefore, the normal reaction force can only be equal to or less than the weight of the object.

Back