Equilibrium of a Non-concurrent force system

In summary,You tried solving it but you don't know how to start because you think the given values are insufficient. You first tried to compute for individual forces of C, D, and F but you can't their values. You need to show us what you tried so we can see where you're getting stuck.
hokage12368
Homework Statement
The frame is supported in pivots at A and B. Compute the horizontal reaction at A and the horizontal and vertical components of the reaction at B. Neglect the weight of the beams
Relevant Equations
How to compute it? Do I need to get the value of individual forces before I get the value of A and B?
IMG_20220208_081804.jpg
I tried solving it but I don't know how to start because I think that the given values are insufficient. I first tried to compute for individual forces of C, D, and F but I can't their values.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 129
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us what you tried so we can see where you're getting stuck.

vela said:
You need to show us what you tried so we can see where you're getting stuck.
IMG_20220208_084305.jpg

I try the moment of A and B but I don't know how to proceed after this or does my solution wrong?

Try considering the equilibrium of the horizontal rod first.

vela said:
Try considering the equilibrium of the horizontal rod first.
It is the same, after that I don't know how to proceed. May I know if the given values is sufficient to solve the problem? Maybe that's the problem why I can't solve it

Posting that you can't solve a problem isn't helpful. We can't see your paper or read your mind. Please show us your work.

vela said:
Posting that you can't solve a problem isn't helpful. We can't see your paper or read your mind. Please show us your work.
IMG_20220208_092431.jpg

Sorry, I as said before other than getting the equilibrium of A, B and C I don't know how to proceed anymore that's why other than what I posted here which is an incomplete solution, I don't have a complete solution. That's why I am asking for help on how to proceed or am I doing it right because I can't proceed any further.

Why all this fascination with detail, following forces through all the members ?
The particular structure shown weighs nothing and is perfectly rigid.
So step outside the box and replace the entire structure by one triangle, ABC.
Allow the problem to collapse, so you can see the solution in your head.
Or am I missing something ?

Likes vela and Lnewqban
hokage12368 said:
View attachment 296760
Sorry, I as said before other than getting the equilibrium of A, B and C I don't know how to proceed anymore that's why other than what I posted here which is an incomplete solution, I don't have a complete solution. That's why I am asking for help on how to proceed or am I doing it right because I can't proceed any further.
Welcome!
Did you get any progress?
Can you visualize the function of each pivot support?
The frame and the load can rotate around the vertical axis A-B.
How are the pivots A and B stopping it from sliding down or tilting over?

FAQ: Equilibrium of a Non-concurrent force system

1. What is meant by equilibrium of a non-concurrent force system?

The equilibrium of a non-concurrent force system refers to a state in which all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and therefore no acceleration. In other words, the object remains at rest or moves with constant velocity.

2. How is equilibrium of a non-concurrent force system determined?

Equilibrium of a non-concurrent force system is determined using the principles of vector addition and subtraction. The forces acting on the object are represented by vectors, and their magnitudes and directions are taken into account to determine if they are balanced or unbalanced.

3. What are the conditions for equilibrium of a non-concurrent force system?

There are two conditions for equilibrium of a non-concurrent force system: the sum of all forces in the x-direction must equal zero, and the sum of all forces in the y-direction must equal zero. This ensures that there is no net force acting on the object in any direction.

4. How can the equilibrium of a non-concurrent force system be represented graphically?

The equilibrium of a non-concurrent force system can be represented graphically using a free body diagram. This is a simplified diagram that shows all the forces acting on the object and their directions. It can help visualize the forces and determine if they are balanced or unbalanced.

5. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium of a non-concurrent force system?

Some real-life examples of equilibrium of a non-concurrent force system include a book resting on a table, a person standing still on the ground, and a bridge supporting the weight of cars and trucks. In all of these cases, the forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in equilibrium.