Equilibrium of a Rigid Body, a boom of a crane

In summary, the problem involves a non-uniform boom attached to a pivot with a known weight and distance from the pivot. The task is to find the tension in the guy wire, as well as the vertical and horizontal components of the force exerted on the boom at its lower end. The correct answers for the tension and vertical component have been found, but there is confusion about the horizontal component. The suggested steps to solve the problem include drawing a free body diagram, labeling and inserting forces, and writing equations of static equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces.
valeriex0x

Homework Statement

The boom in the figure below weighs 2600 N and is attached to a frictionless pivot at its lower end. It is not uniform; the distance of its center of gravity from the pivot is 35.0 % of its length.

Homework Equations

Find the tension in the guy wire.
Find the vertical component of the force exerted on the boom at its lower end.
Find the horizontal component of the force exerted on the boom at its lower end.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already found the correct answers for the tension in the guy wire=3412N, the vertical component of the force on the boom=7600N, but I'm so confused and can't read my notes and what I did to find the Horizontal component. I wrote down "horizontal=guywire plus jasdlkfjas;dlj" so I just don't know what the jaskdfljs is! please advise!

Attachments

• boom.jpg
    boom.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,492
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram of the boom. Label and insert forces, known and unknown. Write equations of static equilibrium. Solve for unknown forces.

Related to Equilibrium of a Rigid Body, a boom of a crane

1. How is the equilibrium of a rigid body defined?

The equilibrium of a rigid body is defined as a state in which the body is not moving or rotating, and the sum of all external forces acting on the body is equal to zero.

2. How does the equilibrium of a rigid body relate to a boom of a crane?

A boom of a crane is a rigid body that is used to lift and move heavy loads. In order for the crane to be stable and not tip over, the equilibrium of the boom must be maintained.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium of a rigid body?

The equilibrium of a rigid body can be affected by the distribution of its weight, the placement of its support points, and the external forces acting on it, such as wind or weight of the load being lifted.

4. How can the equilibrium of a rigid body be calculated?

The equilibrium of a rigid body can be calculated using the principles of statics, which involve analyzing the forces and moments acting on the body and ensuring that they are balanced.

5. What happens if the equilibrium of a rigid body is not maintained?

If the equilibrium of a rigid body, such as the boom of a crane, is not maintained, it can lead to the body tipping over or collapsing, which can result in damage to the crane or injury to the operator and those around it.