Equilibrium problem missing 2 problems

• Thread starter internexus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the question asks to determine the weight and angle needed for an individual with a leg in a 220N cast to have no force exerted on their hip joint. The set-up involves two ropes and a weight of 110N at an angle of 40°. To solve this, one can use a vector triangle or x and y components and solve for the unknown variables.
internexus

Homework Statement

In the figure is an individual laying flat with his leg in cast that is elevated. The question states...

"The leg and cast in the figure weigh 220N. Determine the weight w2 and the angle * needed so that no force is exerted on the hip joint by the leg plus the cast.

In the picture the 220N weight is going downward which would be the normal force. The left hand pulley has a weight of 110N on it at an angle of 40* I need to solve for the w2 (weight on the opposite side) and come up with the degree of the angle as well.I am unsure how to even lay this out when I am not given either both of the angles and solving for the weight in N on both sides... I would appreciate someone getting me started in the correct direction. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi internexus! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a degree: ° and a theta: θ :wink:)

i'm not sure what the set-up is, but i assume there's two ropes and the weight …

so that's three forces which have to add to zero …

you can either do a vector triangle or take x and y components …

for the vector triangle, you know two of the lengths and one of the angles, so that should enable you to find the other side and angles (using the sine and/or cosine formulas)

for the components, call the angle θ, write both x and y equations, and solve for θ …

show us what you get :smile:

FAQ: Equilibrium problem missing 2 problems

1. What is an equilibrium problem?

An equilibrium problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the balance point between two opposing forces or conditions.

2. How is an equilibrium problem solved?

An equilibrium problem can be solved using various methods such as graphical analysis, algebraic equations, or numerical methods. The method used depends on the complexity of the problem and the available information.

3. What are the common types of equilibrium problems?

The most common types of equilibrium problems include static equilibrium, dynamic equilibrium, and chemical equilibrium. Static equilibrium deals with objects at rest, dynamic equilibrium deals with objects in motion, and chemical equilibrium deals with the balance of chemical reactions.

4. What is the significance of equilibrium problems in science?

Equilibrium problems are important in science as they help us understand the balance and stability of various systems. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of physical, chemical, and biological systems. Understanding equilibrium is crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

5. What should be considered when solving an equilibrium problem?

When solving an equilibrium problem, it is important to identify the forces or conditions that are acting on the system and their magnitudes. It is also essential to understand the nature of the problem and choose the appropriate method for solving it. Additionally, checking the units and ensuring they are consistent is crucial in obtaining accurate results.

Back