Equilibrium solutions of a spherical pendulum

In summary, the problem at hand is to show that for the conical pendulum with a constant angle, the conical angle is stable for angles less than half of the initial angle. The frequency of oscillation for angles between 0 and pi/2 is also to be plotted and any interesting aspects of the curve commented on. Using the Hamiltonian equation and taking derivatives, it is possible to get an equation for the acceleration of theta. After simplification, it can be seen that the right-hand side is only a function of theta and constants. This allows for the problem to be effectively reduced to a 1-dimensional problem, making it easier to find an equilibrium solution for theta.
NobodyMinus

Homework Statement

A spherical pendulum consists of bob of mass m attached to a massless rod of fixed length R. The end of the rod opposite the bob pivots freely (in two directions) about some fixed point.

For the conical pendulum (θ=constant) case, show that the conical angle is stable for θ< θ/2. That is, show that if θ=θ0+ε then oscillates about θ0 in harmonic motion. Plot the frequency of oscillation for angles 0<θ<∏/2. Comment on any interesting aspects of the curve.

g = 9.8, R = 1.8824, m = 1.96706

Homework Equations

$$H=\frac{1}{2mR^2}\left(p_\theta^2 + \frac{1}{\sin^2\theta} p_\phi^2\right) + mgR(1-\cos\theta)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to type this out too well, but I took the derivative of H with respect to the canonical momentum in theta to get the first derivative of theta, then took the time derivative of that. this yielded
$$\ddot{\theta} = \frac{\dot{p}_\theta}{mR^2}$$
The hamiltonian to find the first derivative of pθ and plugging it in yielded
$$\ddot{\theta} = \frac{p_\phi^2}{m^2 R^4 \tan\theta\sin^2\theta}-\frac{g\sin\theta}{R}$$
and was from here unable to find an equilibrium solution

Places where pθ or p[itex]\phi[/itex] appear are meant to indicate pθ and p[itex]\phi[/itex] respectively, I just couldn't figure out how to do subscripts in latex
Moderator note: I reformatted your equations using LaTeX. Let me know if I made a mistake.
You guys are my last hope. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi, welcome to physicsforums!
You have done most of the hard work already. The question is asking about the behaviour of theta. So try to write the right-hand-side of your last equation in terms of just theta and constants.

Edit: ah, also, I guess you know that [itex]p_{\phi}[/itex] is a constant. But you will need to write it out explicitly, or finding an equilibrium solution (using the form the equation is currently in) is difficult (as you know already).

Edit again: no, sorry you don't need to write out [itex]p_{\phi}[/itex] explicitly. For some reason, I thought the equation in it's current form is bad. But it is fine in the form it is in now. So, the right-hand side is a function of theta only. And they want you to describe the behaviour close to [itex]\theta_0[/itex] How would you do this? (hint: it is effectively just a 1d problem now, so think of what you would do in a 1d problem).

Last edited:

Related to Equilibrium solutions of a spherical pendulum

1. What is a spherical pendulum?

A spherical pendulum is a physical system that consists of a mass suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. Unlike a traditional pendulum, the mass in a spherical pendulum is allowed to move in all three dimensions, creating a more complex and dynamic motion.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a spherical pendulum?

Equilibrium in a spherical pendulum is achieved when the forces acting on the mass are balanced, resulting in a stable position where the mass remains at rest. This can occur at the bottom of the pendulum's swing, when the mass is directly below the fixed point, or at any other point where the forces are in equilibrium.

3. What are the factors that affect the equilibrium solutions of a spherical pendulum?

The equilibrium solutions of a spherical pendulum are affected by various factors such as the length of the string or rod, the mass of the object, the angle of the string or rod with respect to the vertical axis, and the initial velocity of the mass. These factors can influence the period, amplitude, and stability of the pendulum's motion.

4. How are equilibrium solutions of a spherical pendulum calculated?

The equilibrium solutions of a spherical pendulum can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and the concept of torque. These calculations can vary depending on the specific parameters and initial conditions of the pendulum.

5. What are some real-world applications of equilibrium solutions of a spherical pendulum?

Spherical pendulums have various real-world applications, including in seismology to measure earthquake movements, in navigation systems to determine the direction of gravity, and in gyroscopes for stabilizing and controlling the motion of aircraft and ships. They are also used in some amusement park rides and as a tool for studying complex physical systems and phenomena.

Back