Equilibrium: What is the Minimum Spring Constant for a Secure Ladder Angle?

• Thread starter Hernaner28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, neglecting the equilibrium position of the spring gives a lower minimum value for the spring constant.
Hernaner28

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=48727&stc=1&d=1340924318.gif

I have that situation in which I'm told that the blocks each support a maximum force of 20N. Neglect the natural state of the spring. And I'm asked to find the MINIMUM value of the spring constant K for the man to be secure with an angle [tex] \displaystyle \theta =30{}^\text{o}[/tex].

This is known data:
[tex] \displaystyle \begin{align}
& m=70,0kg \\
& L=3,00m \\
\end{align}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Newton and Torque.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did first was to work with half of the problem (only one side of the ladder) and worked with the half of the man weight as well.
So I wrote:

NEWTON:
[tex] \displaystyle \sum{{{F}_{y}}=\frac{-mg}{2}+{{N}_{1}}\Rightarrow {{N}_{1}}=\frac{mg}{2}}[/tex]

Where N1 is the vertical normal.

The equation in axis x is irrelevant.

TORQUE:

[tex] \displaystyle \sum{\tau }={{N}_{2}}\cos 15{}^\text{o}H+F\cos 15{}^\text{o}\frac{H}{2}-{{N}_{1}}\sin 15H=0[/tex]

Where N2 is the horizontal normal caused by the block, H is the distance of the ladder:
[tex] \displaystyle H=\frac{L}{\cos 15{}^\text{o}}[/tex]

and F is the force done by the spring. So:
[tex] \displaystyle F=kx[/tex]
where x is:

[tex] \displaystyle x=\frac{H}{2}\sin 15{}^\text{o}[/tex]

Solving for K I get the minimum value should be 360 N/m but that's not the correct option. The one marked as correct is 179N/m. What was my mistake?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ladder.gif
    ladder.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 643
Physics news on Phys.org
Hernaner28 said:
[tex] \displaystyle x=\frac{H}{2}\sin 15{}^\text{o}[/tex]

The force depends on the length of the whole spring, twice the value you calculated with.

ehild

I didin't understand what you've said. It says to neglect the equilibrium position of the spring so I suppose that the equilibrium position is at the middle of the ladder (on the vertical that divides the ladder in two halfs). Therefore, the distance the spring streched of one side is H/2*sin(120º)Thanks!

Hernaner28 said:
I didin't understand what you've said. It says to neglect the equilibrium position of the spring so I suppose that the equilibrium position is at the middle of the ladder (on the vertical that divides the ladder in two halfs). Therefore, the distance the spring streched of one side is H/2*sin(120º)

Thanks!

The force a spring exerts (at both ends) is kΔx. You need to find the spring constant of the whole spring. If you consider the spring as two halves, you get the spring constant of a half spring.

ehild

But I thought that that was taken into account when I considered half of the man mass. Why it has nothing to do?

From the half of the weight of the man you got the force the spring exerts on one leg of the ladder. The same force is exerted on the other leg.

The spring constant is defined as the force exerted on the spring divided by the change of length. k=F/x. H/2 sin(15) is not x. It is only half length of the spring.

Ahhh I get it now! Thank you!

You are welcome. And the picture was amazing!:smile:

ehild

Related to Equilibrium: What is the Minimum Spring Constant for a Secure Ladder Angle?

What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance or stability in a system, where the forces acting on the system are equal and opposite, resulting in no net change.

How does a man on a ladder demonstrate equilibrium?

A man on a ladder demonstrates equilibrium because the ladder and the man's weight are balanced by equal and opposite forces. The weight of the man pulls down on the ladder, while the ground or wall pushes up on the ladder with an equal force, keeping the ladder in place.

What factors affect equilibrium for a man on a ladder?

The factors that affect equilibrium for a man on a ladder are the weight of the man, the length and angle of the ladder, the friction between the ladder and the ground or wall, and any external forces acting on the ladder, such as wind or a person pushing on it.

How can the equilibrium of a man on a ladder be disrupted?

The equilibrium of a man on a ladder can be disrupted if any of the factors mentioned above change. For example, if the man moves his weight or the ladder shifts, the forces may no longer be equal and opposite, causing the ladder to tip over.

Why is understanding equilibrium important for scientists?

Understanding equilibrium is important for scientists because it is a fundamental concept in physics and is necessary for explaining and predicting the behavior of objects and systems. It is also crucial in designing structures and machines that can maintain balance and stability.