Equilibrium with respect to matter flow

In summary, the problem involves a two component gaseous system with a fundamental equation, where a closed cylinder is separated into two equal subvolumes with different temperatures and mole numbers. The equilibrium temperature and mole numbers in each subvolume can be found by equating the chemical potentials of species 1 on both chambers and using the temperature equation of state and energy conservation. However, the wording of the problem may be inconsistent with traditional thermodynamic analysis.
Useful nucleus

Homework Statement

A two component gaseous system has a fundamental equation of the form
S=AU1/3V1/3N1/3 + (BN1N2)/N
N=N1+N2
where A and B are positive constants. V is volume , S is entropy, U is internal energy, N is mole number. A closed cylinder of total volume 2V0 is separated into two equal subvolumes by a rigid diathermal partition permeable only to the first component. One mole of the first component at a temperature Tl is introduced in the left subvolume and a mixture of 1/2 mole of each component is introduced in the right subvolume at a temperature Tr.

Find the equilibrium Te and the mole numbers in each subvolume.

Homework Equations

At equilibrium the chemical potentials of species 1 on right and left chambers are equal and also temperatures are equal.

The Attempt at a Solution

The main issue is that whenever I compute the chemical potential of species 1 in the left chamber or the right chamber and equate them

(∂S/∂N1)left=(∂S/∂N1)right

I end up getting 0 = 0. I expected to obtain an expression that helps in evaluate the amount of species (1) in the left and right chamber. Am I missing something? Help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Resolved, one has to be very careful in the differentiation and pay more attention to the sub/super scripts.

Did you also meet a huge system of equations while solving this, or did you solve it by hand?

Isn't there a formal inconsistency in this problem? Since there were no initial internal constants to be removed (The way I read it, looks like someone simply filled the cylinder with the two gases), how can, then, initial temperature and specially initial entropy be defined? On his second postulate it's stated that the entropy function is defined only for equilibrium states (which is also why the book needs to deal with quasi-static transformations). I think energy conservation will be needed to complete the exercise, but if entropy can't be defined at the instant t=0, neither can U, right?

Last edited:
Othin said:
Did you also meet a huge system of equations while solving this, or did you solve it by hand?
Yes using the temperature equation of state, conservation of total energy and equality of μ at equilibrium , I can get one equation in one unknown (for example the mole numbers in the right chamber at the final state) but the solution needs to be done "graphically" rather than by hand.

Othin said:
Isn't there a formal inconsistency in this problem? Since there were no initial internal constants to be removed (The way I read it, looks like someone simply filled the cylinder with the two gases), how can, then, initial temperature and specially initial entropy be defined? On his second postulate it's stated that the entropy function is defined only for equilibrium states (which is also why the book needs to deal with quasi-static transformations). I think energy conservation will be needed to complete the exercise, but if entropy can't be defined at the instant t=0, neither can U, right?

I agree with you that the wording of the problem is not very consistent with typical thermodynamic analysis. But I think the author here intended to mean that first the two chambers were filled with the gases at which point the champers were separated by adiabatic and non-permeable separation. Then this separation was replaced by a diathermal and permeable one (for one type of the gases). It would have been more instructive if reworded and possibly with a simpler fundamental equation.

Likes Othin

Related to Equilibrium with respect to matter flow

What is "Equilibrium with respect to matter flow"?

"Equilibrium with respect to matter flow" refers to the state in which the rate of matter entering a system is equal to the rate of matter leaving the system. This means that there is no net change in the amount of matter within the system over time.

How is equilibrium with respect to matter flow achieved?

Equilibrium with respect to matter flow is achieved when the system is closed and there are no external factors affecting the flow of matter. This can occur naturally in closed systems or can be artificially created through careful control of the system's inputs and outputs.

What factors can affect equilibrium with respect to matter flow?

Factors that can affect equilibrium with respect to matter flow include changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration within the system. Additionally, the presence of catalysts or the occurrence of chemical reactions can also impact the flow of matter and thus affect equilibrium.

Why is understanding equilibrium with respect to matter flow important?

Understanding equilibrium with respect to matter flow is important in many fields of science, such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of systems and can provide valuable insights into natural processes and human-made systems.

How can equilibrium with respect to matter flow be disrupted?

Equilibrium with respect to matter flow can be disrupted by changes in the system's inputs and outputs, such as a sudden increase in the rate of matter entering the system. Chemical reactions and the presence of catalysts can also disrupt equilibrium by altering the rate of matter flow within the system.