Equipartion Theorem rotation question

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about a model of a diatomic gas fluorine. The question involves finding rotational inertia, rotational energy, and the quantum number needed to reach a specific energy level. The conversation also mentions difficulties with understanding the concept of the quantum number in this context.
IDumb
I have absolutely NO IDEA what d is asking or how to do e. A and B are simple, i used the formula E = hbar^2(l(l+1) / 2I (I is moment of inertia) to get c. Can anyone help me with D and E please?

Consider the model of a diatomic gas fluorine (F2) shown in Figure 9.3.

(Figure is 2 atoms connected by an imaginary "rod" along the z axis)
Figure 9.3

(a) Assuming the atoms are point particles separated by a distance of 0.14 nm, find the rotational inertia Ix for rotation about the x axis.
3.1e-46 kg·m2
(b) Now compute the rotational inertia of the molecule about the z axis, assuming almost all of the mass of each atom is in the nucleus, a nearly uniform solid sphere of radius 3.2 x 10^-15 m.
2.58e-55 kg·m2
(c) Compute the rotational energy associated with the first (l = 1) quantum level for a rotation about the x axis.
3.6e-23 J
(d) Using the energy you computed in (c), find the quantum number script i needed to reach that energy level with a rotation about the z axis.

(e) Comment on the result in light of what the equipartition theorem predicts for diatomic molecules.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just had this question on my homework. Part (d) is bullsh*t, simply. It doesn't actually mean an integer when it says 'quantum number'.

For me, I had 8.9e-25 for part (c), and 3.188e-54 for (b), so part (d) looked like:

[itex]E_{rot} = \frac{\hbar^2 l (l + 1)}{2I}[/itex]
Rearrange...
[itex]\frac{2 E_{rot} I}{\hbar^2} = l (l + 1)[/itex]
Plug in...
[itex]\frac{2 (8.9e-25) (3.188e-54)}{(1.05e-34)^2} = l (l + 1)[/itex]

Solving for l gives 5.147e-10 which I cannot understand as a quantum number, since l = 0, 1, 2, ...n-1.

Conceptually, the l = 1 energy level for rotation about the X axis has to be a much lower energy level than the l = 1 energy level for rotation about the Z axis since the moment of inertia for the Z axis is so much smaller.

Bogus question, or perhaps I missed something. Anyway, WebAssign accepted my answer for part (d).

Related to Equipartion Theorem rotation question

1. What is the Equipartition Theorem in relation to rotation?

The Equipartition Theorem states that in a system in thermal equilibrium, the total energy is equally distributed among all degrees of freedom. In the case of rotation, this means that the total energy of a rotating object is evenly distributed among its rotational degrees of freedom.

2. How does the Equipartition Theorem apply to rotational kinetic energy?

The Equipartition Theorem states that each degree of freedom in a system has an average energy of kT/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature. In a rotating object, this means that each rotational degree of freedom has an average kinetic energy of kT/2.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and rotational kinetic energy according to the Equipartition Theorem?

According to the Equipartition Theorem, the average kinetic energy of each rotational degree of freedom is directly proportional to the temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, so does the average kinetic energy of each rotational degree of freedom.

4. How does the Equipartition Theorem explain the distribution of kinetic energy in a rotating object?

The Equipartition Theorem explains that in a system in thermal equilibrium, the total energy is evenly distributed among all degrees of freedom. In a rotating object, this means that the kinetic energy is evenly distributed among all rotational degrees of freedom, resulting in a more uniform distribution of kinetic energy throughout the object.

5. Can the Equipartition Theorem be applied to any rotating object?

Yes, the Equipartition Theorem can be applied to any rotating object in thermal equilibrium. However, it is important to note that this theorem is a statistical approximation and may not accurately predict the exact distribution of kinetic energy in a rotating system.