Equipartition of energy in Rayleigh-Jeans law

In summary, the Rayleigh-Jeans law derivation shows that the average energy of an independent mode of the EM field in a cavity can be calculated using the equipartition of energy, resulting in <E>=kT. The two degrees of freedom for an independent mode come from the fact that the EM field can be expressed as a sum of modes, with each mode having an amplitude and a time derivative term in its energy expression. This is similar to the energy expression for an ordinary harmonic oscillator, and equipartition is used to distribute energy equally among the quadratic degrees of freedom. The two independent polarization states of the Fourier modes of the EM field in the cavity correspond to different modes, with each mode having two quadratic contributions in its energy
vabite
Goodafternoon everyone,

I am looking to the Rayleigh-Jeans law derivation. In order to calculare the average energy of the independent modes of the EM field in the cavity the equipartition of energy is used. In this way, the average energy of a single mode is found to be <E>=kT.

I ask you which are the two degrees of freedom of an independent mode of an EM field, and (equivalently, I suppose) why such modes can be viewed as harmonic oscillators.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fourier modes of the EM field in the cavity have two independent polarization states.

The harmonic oscillator interpretation just comes from the Fourier decomposition of the EM field which is itself just a consequence of it satisfying the free wave equation inside the cavity.

vabite said:
Goodafternoon everyone,

I am looking to the Rayleigh-Jeans law derivation. In order to calculare the average energy of the independent modes of the EM field in the cavity the equipartition of energy is used. In this way, the average energy of a single mode is found to be <E>=kT.

I ask you which are the two degrees of freedom of an independent mode of an EM field, and (equivalently, I suppose) why such modes can be viewed as harmonic oscillators.

The idea that there are modes and each one is an abstract harmonic oscillator follows from Maxwell's equations for vacuum and boundary conditions for metallic cavity (electric field is zero at the walls) or periodic boundary conditions for cuboid (just a math trick).

EM field can be expressed as a sum of field due to modes, where each mode has variable that says how strong that mode oscillates - amplitude.

Based on the Poynting formula for EM energy, each such mode is ascribed energy in the most natural way. Formally it turns out that the expression is similar to the expression for energy of ordinary harmonic oscillator - it is given by two terms : one proportional to square of the mode amplitude and the other one to square of its time derivative.

And now equipartition is used - each quadratic degree of freedom gets ##k_BT/2## of energy.

WannabeNewton said:
The Fourier modes of the EM field in the cavity have two independent polarization states...

If the polarization is different, it is a different mode :-) Two degrees of freedom per one mode are due to the fact that the energy has two quadratic contributions.

It makes sense, thank you.
Can you just write me down the formula for the energy of a mode of the EM field, containing the two quadratic contributions?

Jano L. said:
The idea that there are modes and each one is an abstract harmonic oscillator follows from Maxwell's equations for vacuum and boundary conditions for metallic cavity (electric field is zero at the walls) or periodic boundary conditions for cuboid (just a math trick).

EM field can be expressed as a sum of field due to modes, where each mode has variable that says how strong that mode oscillates - amplitude.

Based on the Poynting formula for EM energy, each such mode is ascribed energy in the most natural way. Formally it turns out that the expression is similar to the expression for energy of ordinary harmonic oscillator - it is given by two terms : one proportional to square of the mode amplitude and the other one to square of its time derivative.

And now equipartition is used - each quadratic degree of freedom gets ##k_BT/2## of energy.
I'm struggling with this right now. Could you please write the formula for the energy of each Fourier mode where both quadratic terms Appear? Where does the time derivative come from?
I'm losing my mind with all these poor explanations from the books saying that the modes are harmonic oscillators. Thanks a lot

Related to Equipartition of energy in Rayleigh-Jeans law

1. What is the Rayleigh-Jeans law?

The Rayleigh-Jeans law is a formula that describes the distribution of energy in the electromagnetic radiation spectrum. It was developed by Lord Rayleigh and Sir James Jeans in the early 1900s and is based on classical physics principles.

2. How does the Rayleigh-Jeans law relate to the equipartition of energy?

The Rayleigh-Jeans law is a manifestation of the equipartition of energy principle, which states that energy is equally distributed among all possible degrees of freedom in a system. In the case of electromagnetic radiation, these degrees of freedom are the different wavelengths or frequencies that make up the radiation.

3. What is the significance of the equipartition of energy in the Rayleigh-Jeans law?

The equipartition of energy principle allows us to understand how energy is distributed among different wavelengths or frequencies in the electromagnetic radiation spectrum. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology, where the study of radiation is essential in understanding the universe.

4. How accurate is the Rayleigh-Jeans law in describing the distribution of energy in radiation?

The Rayleigh-Jeans law is accurate for longer wavelengths (low frequencies) but fails to accurately predict the energy distribution for shorter wavelengths (high frequencies). This discrepancy, known as the ultraviolet catastrophe, was resolved by Max Planck's quantum theory of radiation.

5. Is the Rayleigh-Jeans law still relevant in modern physics?

Although the Rayleigh-Jeans law is not entirely accurate, it is still used in certain situations, such as in the study of blackbody radiation at lower temperatures. It also serves as an important historical milestone in the development of quantum theory and our understanding of energy distribution in the electromagnetic spectrum.