Equitorial/Horizontal co-ordinate questions

• Thread starter Brewer
  • Start date
In summary: Why keep your mouth shut for fear of being thought a fool when you can open it and prove yourself to be so?
Brewer
I have the following question and I'm interested in if any of you can help me with it.

What are the altitude and azimuth of the south celestial pole as seen from Sydney, Australia (latitude = 33°55'S)?

From my diagram that I've drawn, it appears that the altitude is either 146°05'S or 56°05'S, but is that right? And if it is which one do I use? The smaller (i.e. >90°) answer?

The azimuth I'm more concerned with. My initial thought is that because its the south celestial pole it should have an azimuth of 180°. Is this the correct way of thinking?

Thanks for any help/info.

Brewer

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Brewer said:
What are the altitude and azimuth of the south celestial pole as seen from Sydney, Australia (latitude = 33°55'S)?
From my diagram that I've drawn, it appears that the altitude is either 146°05'S or 56°05'S, but is that right? And if it is which one do I use? The smaller (i.e. >90°) answer?
If you face North the altitude is 146°05' and if you face South it is 56°05'. As altitude is measured from the nearest horizon and is not more than 900, it is the latter figure that is correct.

Garth

Garth said:
If you face North the altitude is 146°05' and if you face South it is 56°05'. As altitude is measured from the nearest horizon and is not more than 900, it is the latter figure that is correct.
Garth

So I was right then?

Thanks for that. What about the azimuth? Was I correct in thinking that this is 1800?

Brewer said:
So I was right then?
Thanks for that. What about the azimuth? Was I correct in thinking that this is 1800?
Azimuth has been defined in different ways:
as the angle between the vertical through the south point and the vertical through the object measured westwards along the horizon from 00 to 3600(so the SCP will have an azimuth of 00),
or the angle between the vertical through the north point and the vertical through the object measured eastwards or westwards along the horizon from 00 to 1800 (so the SCP will have an azimuth of +/-1800),
or the angle from the vertical through the north point and the vertical through the object measured eastwards along the horizon from 00 to 3600(so the SCP will have an azimuth of +1800), this final definition is similar to true bearing and is the one I would use.

Garth

Garth said:
Azimuth has been defined in different ways:
as the angle between the vertical through the south point and the vertical through the object measured westwards along the horizon from 00 to 3600(so the SCP will have an azimuth of 00),
or the angle between the vertical through the north point and the vertical through the object measured eastwards or westwards along the horizon from 00 to 1800 (so the SCP will have an azimuth of +/-1800),
or the angle from the vertical through the north point and the vertical through the object measured eastwards along the horizon from 00 to 3600(so the SCP will have an azimuth of +1800), this final definition is similar to true bearing and is the one I would use.

Garth
Thanks for that. We had it defined as the second one you mentioned, from North through East. I just wasn't sure how the SCP checked out, as my original diagram got a bit confusing!

You've been a great help though. Thanks a lot.

Check your altitude answer. What would the altitude of the South Celestial Pole be if you were on the South Pole with a latitude of 90 degrees? What would the altitude of the South Celestial Pole be if you were on the equator with a latitude of 0 degrees?

tony873004 said:
Check your altitude answer. What would the altitude of the South Celestial Pole be if you were on the South Pole with a latitude of 90 degrees? What would the altitude of the South Celestial Pole be if you were on the equator with a latitude of 0 degrees?
Quite correct I was thinking of zenith distance, that's the problem with hurried posts!:blushing:

"Why keep your mouth shut for fear of being thought a fool when you can open it and prove yourself to be so?"

Garth

Last edited:

FAQ: Equitorial/Horizontal co-ordinate questions

1. What is the difference between equatorial and horizontal coordinates?

Equatorial coordinates, also known as right ascension and declination, are used to locate objects in the sky based on their position relative to the celestial equator. Horizontal coordinates, also known as altitude and azimuth, are used to locate objects based on their position relative to the observer's horizon.

2. How do you convert between equatorial and horizontal coordinates?

To convert between equatorial and horizontal coordinates, you need to know the observer's location and the current date and time. You can use mathematical formulas or computer programs to make the conversion.

3. How do you find the latitude and longitude of an object using equatorial coordinates?

To find the latitude and longitude of an object using equatorial coordinates, you need to know the object's right ascension and declination, as well as the observer's location. You can use mathematical formulas or computer programs to calculate the coordinates.

4. What is the significance of the celestial equator in equatorial coordinates?

The celestial equator is an imaginary line that represents the projection of the Earth's equator onto the celestial sphere. It is used as the reference point for measuring declination in equatorial coordinates.

5. How accurate are equatorial and horizontal coordinates for locating objects in the sky?

Equatorial and horizontal coordinates are both useful for locating objects in the sky, but each has its own limitations. Equatorial coordinates are more accurate for tracking the positions of objects over time, while horizontal coordinates are more useful for visual observations and navigation.

Back