Equivalence mapping from integers to rationals

In summary, the author is trying to explain that a mapping from integers to rationals is onto and well defined, but they are confused about what it means for a map to be onto.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let * and = be defined by a*b means a - b is an element of the integers and a = b means that a - b is an element of the rationals. Suppose there is a mapping P: (* equivalence classes over the real numbers) --> (= equivalence classes over the real numbers). show that this mapping is onto and well defined.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused, wouldn't this mapping NOT be onto? I mean, if you take all the equivalence classes defined by * it couldn't cover all the equivalence classes covered by =, since = deals with rationals and * integers. Is this a misprint in the book or am I mistaken?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Let * and = be defined by a*b means a - b is an element of the integers and a = b means that a - b is an element of the rationals. Suppose there is a mapping P: (* equivalence classes over the real numbers) --> (= equivalence classes over the real numbers). show that this mapping is onto and well defined.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused, wouldn't this mapping NOT be onto? I mean, if you take all the equivalence classes defined by * it couldn't cover all the equivalence classes covered by =, since = deals with rationals and * integers. Is this a misprint in the book or am I mistaken?

Mistaken. If Z is the integers and Q is the rationals, then an equivalence class of * is a set of the form r+Z where r is a real number. An equivalence class of = is a set of the form s+Q where s is real. Can't you think of a sort of obvious way to map one onto the other? Then try and prove your map is well defined and onto. You can't really prove a map is anything until you define it.

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ
Oh. right, Thanks dood u da best

FAQ: Equivalence mapping from integers to rationals

1. What is equivalence mapping from integers to rationals?

Equivalence mapping from integers to rationals is a mathematical process that assigns a unique rational number to every integer. This allows for a one-to-one correspondence between integers and rational numbers.

2. Why is equivalence mapping from integers to rationals important?

Equivalence mapping from integers to rationals is important because it allows for a better understanding of the relationship between integers and rational numbers. It also helps in solving equations involving both integers and rational numbers.

3. How is equivalence mapping from integers to rationals done?

Equivalence mapping from integers to rationals is done by dividing the integer by 1. For example, the integer 2 can be represented as the rational number 2/1. This can be extended to all integers by dividing them by 1.

4. What is the difference between integers and rationals in terms of equivalence mapping?

The main difference between integers and rationals in terms of equivalence mapping is that integers have a finite representation while rationals have an infinite representation. This is because rationals have a numerator and denominator, while integers only have a whole number.

5. How is equivalence mapping from integers to rationals used in real life?

Equivalence mapping from integers to rationals is used in real life in various fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science. It is particularly useful in solving equations involving fractions and in representing measurements that involve both whole numbers and fractions.