Equivalent capacitance and Kirchoff's laws

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about applying Kirchoff's laws to a circuit that was supposed to be a Wheatstone Bridge. The suggestion of using star-delta transformations was mentioned, and it was later discovered that there was a Wheatstone Bridge with 5 capacitors, but it was in parallel with 1 capacitor.
EddiePhys

Homework Statement

IMG_20170812_114129_01.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to proceed. Applying Kirchoff's laws to this would be quite lengthy. This circuit is supposed to be a wheatstone bridge but I can't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
See on internet some stuff about the star-delta transformations.
I don't want to say useless things, but I would apply this method here.
http://i65.tinypic.com/2mxfvps.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 380
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes scottdave
Actually, there is a Wheatstone Bridge (5 caps), but the Bridge is in parallel with 1 cap.

Likes cnh1995
scottdave said:
Actually, there is a Wheatstone Bridge (5 caps), but the Bridge is in parallel with 1 cap.

Oh I see it now. Thanks!

Likes scottdave

Related to Equivalent capacitance and Kirchoff's laws

1. What is equivalent capacitance?

Equivalent capacitance is the combined capacitance of two or more capacitors in a circuit. It represents the total amount of charge that can be stored in a circuit and is calculated by adding the individual capacitance values of the capacitors.

2. How do you calculate equivalent capacitance?

The equivalent capacitance is calculated by using the formula Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., where C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitance values of the capacitors in a circuit. If the capacitors are connected in series, the equivalent capacitance is calculated using the formula Ceq = 1/(1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ...), and if they are connected in parallel, the formula is Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 + ....

3. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. This means that the total voltage supplied by the battery or power source is equal to the voltage drops across all the components in the circuit.

4. How do you apply Kirchoff's Voltage Law in a circuit?

To apply Kirchoff's Voltage Law, start at a point in the circuit and move around in a closed loop, keeping track of the voltage changes. As you move across a resistor, the voltage drops, and as you move across a battery or power source, the voltage increases. At the end of the loop, the total voltage drops should equal the total voltage increases, and the sum should be equal to zero.

5. What is Kirchoff's Current Law?

Kirchoff's Current Law states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit is equal to the total current leaving the junction. This means that the amount of current flowing into a junction must be equal to the amount of current flowing out of the junction.