Equivalent capacitance:pentagon shape

In summary, the conversation discusses connecting five capacitors of equal capacitance in a series and determining the equivalent capacitance between two different terminals. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the order in which capacitors are connected and suggests using a multitester with capacitance measuring capability to experiment with different configurations. Finally, it is confirmed that the calculated equivalent capacitances and ratios are correct.
gracy

Homework Statement

Five capacitors ,each of capacitance value C are connected as shown in the figure.The ratio of capacitance between P and R,and the capacitance between P and Q is
P.png

Homework Equations

For Equivalent Capacitance in series

##\frac{1}{C}##=##\frac{1}{C_1}##+##\frac{1}{C_2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

But I don't know from which direction should I consider capacitors whether clockwise or anticloclwise?Because I will encounter different number of capacitors in each of these direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:

Homework Statement

Five capacitors ,each of capacitance value C are connected as shown in the figure.The ratio of capacitance between P and R,and the capacitance between P and Q is
View attachment 92640

Homework Equations

For Equivalent Capacitance in series

##\frac{1}{C}##=##\frac{1}{C_1}##+##\frac{1}{C_2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

But I don't know from which direction should I consider capacitors whether clockwise or anticloclwise?Because I will encounter different number of capacitors in each of these direction.
Does it matter? is ##\frac{1}{C_1}+\frac{1}{C_2}## not the same as ##\frac{1}{C_2}+\frac{1}{C_1}##?What capacitors are connected in series and in parallel with respect to the terminals P and R, and in case when the terminals are P and Q?
Determine the equivalent capacitance between P and R. Then determine the equivalent capacitance between P and Q. What are they?

It seems to me that you are very interested in capacitors and resistors. I recommend that you buy multitester with capacitance measuring capability. Get few resistors and capacitors of different values and make a circuit of any configuration you like.

I will try to solve this with the help of answers I have received in my previous thread.
ehild said:
Determine the equivalent capacitance between P and R
P2.png

Now the two capacitors are in parallel
equivalent capacitance between P and R=C/2+C/3
=##\frac{5C}{6}##
ehild said:
determine the equivalent capacitance between P and Q.
1P.png

equivalent capacitance between P and Q is =C+C/4
=##\frac{5C}{4}##
The ratio between the two are
##\frac{5C}{6}##÷##\frac{5C}{4}##

=##\frac{2}{3}##

Am I right?

gracy said:
I will try to solve this with the help of answers I have received in my previous thread.

View attachment 92647

=##\frac{5C}{6}##

View attachment 92648
=##\frac{5C}{4}##

=##\frac{2}{3}##

Am I right?

Looks good to me.

Splendid!
You did it right, the answers you got in one thread can be applied in an other thread. Do not forget them!

Likes gracy
ehild said:
Splendid!
Thank you so much for this .:smile:

gracy said:

View attachment 92647

=##\frac{5C}{6}##

View attachment 92648
=##\frac{5C}{4}##

=##\frac{2}{3}##

Am I right?
Why did you not do this in OP ?

Then, if you were not sure about which order to use, you could have tried any order you were not sure about and compared answers.

That's generally how we know whether or not such things are important.

Related to Equivalent capacitance:pentagon shape

1. What is the formula for calculating the equivalent capacitance of a pentagon shape?

The formula for calculating the equivalent capacitance of a pentagon shape is C = 5/2 * A * d, where C is the equivalent capacitance, A is the area of the pentagon, and d is the distance between the opposite sides.

2. How is the equivalent capacitance of a pentagon shape different from other shapes?

The equivalent capacitance of a pentagon shape is different from other shapes because it has a non-uniform distribution of charge due to its asymmetrical nature. This means that the capacitance cannot be calculated using the same formula as other symmetrical shapes.

3. What factors affect the equivalent capacitance of a pentagon shape?

The equivalent capacitance of a pentagon shape is affected by the area of the pentagon, the distance between opposite sides, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. Additionally, the shape of the pentagon and the positioning of the charges can also impact the equivalent capacitance.

4. How can the equivalent capacitance of a pentagon shape be measured?

The equivalent capacitance of a pentagon shape can be measured using a capacitance meter or by constructing a circuit with known components and using Ohm's Law to calculate the equivalent capacitance.

5. What applications does the concept of equivalent capacitance of a pentagon shape have?

The concept of equivalent capacitance of a pentagon shape is important in designing electronic circuits and devices. It can also be useful in understanding the behavior of biological molecules, such as DNA, which have a similar shape. Additionally, the concept is relevant in the study of nanotechnology and the development of new materials with specific electrical properties.