Equivalent Impedance: 1MicroF Cap, 1kOhm & 200mH Inductor

In summary, to find the equivalent impedance of a 1-microF capacitor and a 1-kOhm resistor connected in parallel and then in series with a 200-mH inductor at w=1 krad/s, we use the equations Z=R for a resistor, Z=jwl for an inductor, and Z=1/(jwC) for a capacitor. The individual impedances are 1000 ohms for the resistor, 200j for the inductor, and 1000/j for the capacitor. Combining these elements, we get an equivalent impedance of 500-300j.
jmartin
Question: A 1-microF capacitor and a 1-kOhm resistor are connected in parallel, and this parallel combination is connected in series with a 200-mH inductor. Find the equivalent impedance of the connection at w=1 krad/s.

Relevant Equations: Z=R for a resistor, Z=jwl for an inductor, and Z=1/(jwC) for a capacitor (w=omega)

I know to find equivalent impedance you use the above equations, but I am not sure how to proceed with this question. Any help would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So we have the following:

View attachment 4513

And you have reported $\omega=1E3$ rad/s. So what are the individual impedances?

Attachments

• jmartin sss question.png
    jmartin sss question.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 61
The impedances are 1000 ohms for the resistor, 200j for the inductor, and 1000/j for the capacitor.

jmartin said:
The impedances are 1000 ohms for the resistor, 200j for the inductor, and 1000/j for the capacitor.

Excellent! I'd go ahead and write $1000/j=-1000j$, since $\dfrac{1}{j}=-j$.

So, now we have to consider how these elements combine. How are the components connected? And how do impedances combine in series? Parallel?

The capacitor and resistor are connected in parallel, and this combination is in series with the inductor. Impedances are added normally in series and inversely in parallel.

jmartin said:
The capacitor and resistor are connected in parallel, and this combination is in series with the inductor. Impedances are added normally in series and inversely in parallel.

Excellent! So your equivalent impedance is...

I am getting 1000-487j as the answer. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong in my calculations.

Ok, so we should have
\begin{align*}Z_{\text{eq}}&=200j+(1000) \| (-1000j) \\
&=200j+\frac{(1000)(-1000j)}{1000-1000j} \\
&=200j+\frac{-1000j}{1-j} \\
&=200j+\frac{-1000j}{1-j} \cdot \frac{1+j}{1+j} \\
&=200j+\frac{-1000j+1000}{2} \\
&=200j+500-500j \\
&=500-300j.
\end{align*}
Can you see your error now?

Yes I found where I made my mistake. Thank you so much for your help!

You're quite welcome! Any time!

Related to Equivalent Impedance: 1MicroF Cap, 1kOhm & 200mH Inductor

What is equivalent impedance?

Equivalent impedance is a measure of the total opposition to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is a combination of the resistance, capacitance, and inductance of the circuit components.

What is a 1MicroF capacitor?

A 1MicroF capacitor is a type of electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It is measured in microfarads (μF) and can be used to block or filter certain frequencies in a circuit.

What is a 1kOhm resistor?

A 1kOhm resistor is a type of electronic component that limits the flow of current in a circuit. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is commonly used to control the amount of voltage and current in a circuit.

What is a 200mH inductor?

A 200mH inductor is a type of electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is measured in millihenrys (mH) and can be used to control the flow of current in a circuit.

How do these components affect the equivalent impedance?

The equivalent impedance of a circuit is affected by the combination of resistance, capacitance, and inductance of all components in the circuit. In the case of a 1MicroF capacitor, 1kOhm resistor, and 200mH inductor, the equivalent impedance would be a combination of all three values and can be calculated using complex numbers or a formula specific to the type of circuit. In general, larger values of capacitance and inductance can decrease the equivalent impedance, while larger values of resistance can increase it.