Equivalent impedance per phase (3 Phase balanced systems)

In summary, when a load is given in MVA, the equivalent complex impedance per phase can be found by dividing the real and reactive power by three and expressing it in the form Z(per phase) = Real power/3 + j Reactive power/3. However, this equation may not provide enough information to uniquely determine the impedance without additional information such as the voltage or current.
Physicist3
Hi, if a load is given in MVA and I work out the Real and reactive power, is the equivalent complex impedance per phase the values of real and reactive power divided by three in the following form:

Z (per phase) = Real power/3 + j Reactive power/3

Im not sure how to work out whether the complex number should be real term ± imaginary term? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Physicist3 said:
Hi, if a load is given in MVA and I work out the Real and reactive power, is the equivalent complex impedance per phase the values of real and reactive power divided by three in the following form:

Im not sure how to work out whether the complex number should be real term ± imaginary term? Thanks

RLC parallel circuits?

Physicist3 said:

The RHS is the per-phase complex power for a balanced load. Since the LHS should be in units of ohms, you should reexamine what lead you to this equation.

Consider an impedance Z with known complex power S delivered to it:
[tex]
\mathbf{Z} = \frac{\mathbf{V}}{\mathbf{I}} \\
\mathbf{S} = \mathbf{V} \mathbf{I}^*
[/tex]
where V is the voltage across the impedance and I is the current through it.

This is 2 equations in 3 unknowns. This should tell you that you need more information to uniquely determine Z.

Since the angles of Z and S are equal, you could determine Z if you knew the magnitude of either V or I.

Related to Equivalent impedance per phase (3 Phase balanced systems)

1. What is equivalent impedance per phase in a 3-phase balanced system?

Equivalent impedance per phase is a measure of the total impedance that a single phase of a 3-phase balanced system would experience. It takes into account the individual impedances of each component in the circuit (resistors, inductors, and capacitors) and their arrangement in the circuit.

2. How is equivalent impedance per phase calculated?

To calculate the equivalent impedance per phase, you need to first calculate the total impedance of the circuit by adding up the individual impedances. Then, divide the total impedance by the number of phases (3 in this case) to get the equivalent impedance per phase.

3. Why is equivalent impedance per phase important?

Equivalent impedance per phase is important because it helps in determining the overall impedance of a 3-phase balanced system. This information is essential in designing and analyzing electrical circuits to ensure they are operating efficiently and safely.

4. How does equivalent impedance per phase affect power distribution?

In a 3-phase balanced system, the equivalent impedance per phase affects the distribution of power by determining the amount of voltage drop and power loss in each phase. The higher the equivalent impedance per phase, the more power will be lost in the circuit.

5. Can equivalent impedance per phase be reduced?

Yes, equivalent impedance per phase can be reduced by altering the circuit design or using components with lower individual impedances. This can improve the efficiency of the circuit and reduce power loss.