Equivalent Resistance - Resistors Intertwined

In summary, the problem the student was having was that they could not figure out how to simplify the circuit. The 3 ohm resistor was shorted and the remaining resistors were not in parallel or series.
Hurricane9

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent resistance between terminals a and b

LOYkkKW.png

Homework Equations

Series: Req = summation of resistors

Parallel 1/Req = summation of 1/resistances

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figured out the easy ones, and so I'm here at the moment:

Kt5bzSL.png

And that is where I am stuck. The problem I am finding is that everything is intertwined and I can't figure out how to simplify anymore.

For example, I feel the next step is to combine the 6 ohm and the 5 ohm resistor in the middle. But I can't say they are in parallel, with the 3 ohm and the 6 ohm being in series, as the other 6 ohm resistor is there tacked on. So the 3 ohm resistor is in parallel with the two 6 ohm ones. But again, I can't use the parallel equal for those because the right 6 ohm resistor is connected to the 1 ohm resistor, and I can't say the 6 ohm and the 1 ohm are in series, because the 5 ohm and the top 1 ohm are also connected to it. And I can't say the top 1 ohm, the 3+6+6 ohm portion, and the 5 ohm portion are all in parallel, because the 1 ohm connects at the top and at the bottom.

Basically, I have no clue where to start. I've been looking up example problems on the internet all afternoon and none of them I've found have had these issues.

Thanks in advance for the help! I am sure I can figure it out if someone could push me in the right direction. I am just not sure where my understanding of the concepts is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your next step is to redraw the diagram - simplifying it.
i.e. there is an unneeded node between the 1, 3, and 5 ohm resistors.
Notice that the loop around the 5ohm resistor is a short - it basically removes a (bunch of?) resistor(s) from the circuit - totally changing how it looks.

I suspected the trick was with that, but the idea of a short hasn't really been covered enough for me to be sure that was the case.

Does it mean I can essentially take everything out but two 1 ohm resistors?

KlKZmMQ.png

Or is that too much taken out? I am unsure whether that 3 ohm resistor is shorted. The 5 definitely is, right?

Last edited:
Here's a hint: look at the 6 ohm and 3 ohm resistor on the right side.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm still unsure about the short. A resistor has to be in parallel with the short to be shorted, right? So I don't believe the 3 ohm and the two 6 ohm resistors are shorted. If this is true, then I get to a point where the remaining resistors are not in parallel or series, so I can't proceed. So I can't see how I can solve this problem without the 3 being shorted, but I don't understand why it would be.

Since the 5 ohm resistor can be removed (it's shorted), the 3 ohm and the 6 ohm resistors are in ______? (try redrawing the circuit with the 5 ohm resistor removed)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
That's right - I like to redraw circuits with one terminal at the top and the other at the bottom, then the circuit makes a kind-of flow diagram from top to bottom.

Don't be frightened to redraw the circuits several times ... I use a large window and a whiteboard marker.

AH, they are in parallel.

Great, I can solve it now! Thanks a lot!

FAQ: Equivalent Resistance - Resistors Intertwined

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the overall resistance of a circuit that is made up of multiple resistors. It is the resistance that a single resistor would need to have in order to produce the same effect as all the resistors combined.

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance?

To calculate equivalent resistance, you need to use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. Simply add up the reciprocals of all the resistances and then take the reciprocal of that sum to get the equivalent resistance.

3. What is the purpose of intertwining resistors?

The purpose of intertwining resistors is to create a more complex circuit with a specific desired resistance. By combining and arranging resistors in a certain way, it is possible to achieve a precise equivalent resistance that may not be possible with a single resistor.

4. Can resistors be intertwined in any way?

No, resistors cannot be intertwined in any way. There are specific rules and guidelines for intertwining resistors in order to achieve the desired equivalent resistance. These rules include connecting resistors in series or parallel, and following specific calculations and formulas.

5. How does intertwining resistors affect the flow of electricity?

Intertwining resistors can affect the flow of electricity by increasing or decreasing the overall resistance of a circuit. This can impact the amount of current that can flow through the circuit, and therefore, affect the functionality of the circuit. It is important to carefully calculate and consider the effects of intertwining resistors in a circuit before constructing it.