Equivalent resistance with a short circuit

In summary, the circuit shown in the given problem has a short circuit that effectively bypasses the subnetwork consisting of R1 through R3. This means that the equivalent resistance of the circuit is simply R4, as a short circuit has a resistance of zero Ohms and anything in parallel with it is effectively bypassed.
sun18

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent resistance of the circuit shown below.

Homework Equations

R=[itex]\Sigma_{i}[/itex]R[itex]_{i}[/itex]
1/R=[itex]\Sigma_{i}[/itex]1/R[itex]_{i}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how this circuit can be simplified. All I see is a big short circuit where the only element that matters is R[itex]_{4}[/itex]. What I tried was considering R[itex]_{2}[/itex] and R[itex]_{3}[/itex] as being in parallel, but I still see a short circuit happening. I don't think I understand how short-circuits behave, because I don't think the equivalent resistance is simply R[itex]_{4}[/itex]. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated (also sorry for the terrible drawing)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 19.49.35.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 19.49.35.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,631
Physics news on Phys.org
sun18 said:

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent resistance of the circuit shown below.

Homework Equations

R=[itex]\Sigma_{i}[/itex]R[itex]_{i}[/itex]
1/R=[itex]\Sigma_{i}[/itex]1/R[itex]_{i}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how this circuit can be simplified. All I see is a big short circuit where the only element that matters is R[itex]_{4}[/itex]. What I tried was considering R[itex]_{2}[/itex] and R[itex]_{3}[/itex] as being in parallel, but I still see a short circuit happening. I don't think I understand how short-circuits behave, because I don't think the equivalent resistance is simply R[itex]_{4}[/itex]. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated (also sorry for the terrible drawing)

Hi sun18, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your intuition is correct; The subnetwork consisting of R1 through R3 is bypassed by the wire running from the top terminal to R4. A short circuit is equivalent to a resistance of zero Ohms, so anything in parallel with it is effectively bypassed (A zero Ohm resistance in parallel with any other resistor value is zero).

Thanks so much for the response gneill. I guess I was overthinking it instead of concluding the obvious.

Related to Equivalent resistance with a short circuit

What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the resistance value that would produce the same current flow in a circuit as the combined resistances of all the individual components in the circuit.

What is a short circuit?

A short circuit occurs when there is a low resistance connection between two points in a circuit, causing a very high current flow. This can result in damage to the circuit and potential safety hazards.

What happens to equivalent resistance with a short circuit?

If a short circuit occurs in a circuit, the equivalent resistance will decrease significantly as the low resistance connection allows for a large amount of current to flow through the circuit.

How does a short circuit affect the overall circuit?

A short circuit can cause the overall circuit to malfunction or completely shut down due to the high current flow. It can also cause damage to components and potentially start a fire if not addressed properly.

How can equivalent resistance be calculated with a short circuit present?

When calculating equivalent resistance with a short circuit present, the short circuit can be treated as a wire with zero resistance. This means that the equivalent resistance can be calculated by simply adding the resistances of the remaining components in the circuit.