Erasing Memories: Technology & Hypnosis?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of erasing certain memories from one's brain, particularly ones related to a person or specific events. Hypnosis is mentioned as a potential method, but it is noted that it can only block memories rather than completely erase them. The movie "Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind" is suggested as a relevant reference. The conversation also delves into the idea of time healing and the use of distractions to move on from memories.
EvLer
Is there a way to erase certain memory from one's brain? For instance, everything in relation to a person? or... certain events about the person... ? well, i mean something besides like drinking... does hypnosis do that? i should say that commonly suggested methods don't work...
just curious if that is possible with technology being so advanced and so much research in cognitive field, which... i don't know much about...

Physics news on Phys.org
EvLer said:
Is there a way to erase certain memory from one's brain? For instance, everything in relation to a person? or... certain events about the person... ? well, i mean something besides like drinking... does hypnosis do that?
Hypnosis can completely block a range or type of memory. Not erase, mind you, but block your conscious mind from access to it. You would need a really tip-top hypnotist, though, one who can get you WAY under.

Well, you could just try to stop thinking about it and go on about your life... Then you will still remember the person but won't be of any meaning to you anymore.

Other than that, you can't really forget someone if they've had such a big impact...

EDIT: Especially when you thinkg about trying to forget about them.

Watch "Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind" the movie.

dduardo said:

exactly what i was thinking it sounded like. good movie too.

Thank you all...i come here mostly for technical questions, but... tonight for some reason decided to ask for ideas on non-technical stuff, since even scientists are people, i suppose...
Anyway, in my attempt, i just read a ton of anecdotes to set me at ease ... but there are so many reminders about that person ... all over campus and common friends! sounds horrible, but i wish i had a test to study for! technically i can find stuff to study... thanks for the movie suggestion, i'll put that on my list.
yeah... time, they say, takes care of a lot...

Last edited:
amazing film

Related to Erasing Memories: Technology & Hypnosis?

1. How does technology erase memories?

Technology can erase memories through various methods such as electroconvulsive therapy, transcranial magnetic stimulation, and deep brain stimulation. These techniques involve altering the brain's electrical activity to disrupt or eliminate specific memories.

2. Is it ethical to erase memories using technology?

The ethical implications of erasing memories using technology are still heavily debated. While it may be beneficial for individuals suffering from traumatic memories, it raises concerns about altering a person's identity and potentially erasing important life experiences.

3. Can hypnosis really erase memories?

Hypnosis has been shown to be effective in retrieving forgotten memories, but there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that it can completely erase memories. Memories are complex and deeply ingrained in the brain, making it unlikely for them to be completely erased by hypnosis alone.

4. What are the potential risks of using technology to erase memories?

The use of technology to erase memories can have potential risks such as damaging healthy brain tissue, causing unintended side effects, and altering a person's personality or sense of self. It is important for further research to be conducted to fully understand the risks and benefits of memory erasure technology.

5. Can memories be selectively erased with technology?

Selective memory erasure is a complex and challenging task, as memories are interconnected and removing one memory may have unintended consequences. While technology may be able to target specific memories, it is not yet advanced enough to selectively erase only certain memories without affecting others.