Error Analysis: Lab Report Decimal Places

In summary: So when you give the number in millimetres, you're implying an uncertainty of +/- 0.5mm.In summary, the speaker is conducting an experiment on error analysis using a meter rule. They are questioning how many decimal places to include in their laboratory report when converting from centimeters to meters, calculating average length, variance, standard deviation, and standard error. They also explain the reasoning behind using 3 decimal places instead of 4 when measuring with a meter rule. They reference a book and a website for further information on measurement uncertainty.
ngkamsengpeter
Hello , i just doing a experiment on error analysis and i am using meter rule .
The problem i am facing is , since i use meter rule to measure length and for example i get a result of 115.65cm . After that , i want to convert it to meter , actually how many decimal places should i put in my laboratory report ? Someone tell me that i should put 3 or less decimal place but i think we can measure up to 0.0005m using a meter rule , so we should put 4 decimal places . Am i right ?

Besides , the result i need to use to calculate the average length . Then is it the average length is also use 4 decimal places ?

After that , we need to calculate the variance . How many decimal places should i put in the variace ?

After that , we square root the variance to get the standard deviation .Again how many decimal place should i put for the answer of standard deviation ?

Finally , we will calculate the standard error , What is the decimal places should i put for the standard error ?

And for the final answer , should i put (1.1565 +- standard error) m or otherwise ?

I know this is a simple question for physics but i still don't know even i am a undergraduate student now because for the secondary school , our education system don't enforce this rule , so no one use it.

So, somebody please answer my questions .Please.

Physics news on Phys.org
The nearest graduation on a metre rule is the millimetre, so yes you're right, your maximum graduation error is +- 0.5mm. Since this means you're measuring whole numbers of millimetres, you're using 3 decimal places i.e. the closest you can come is (say) 509mm = 0.509m. That's 3 decimal places.

Sojourner01 said:
The nearest graduation on a metre rule is the millimetre, so yes you're right, your maximum graduation error is +- 0.5mm. Since this means you're measuring whole numbers of millimetres, you're using 3 decimal places i.e. the closest you can come is (say) 509mm = 0.509m. That's 3 decimal places.

Why don't we use 4 decimal places since if i convert 116.25cm to meter is 1.1625 meter ?Do you mean i should round up to 1.163 meter ?

Because you're not measuring 116.25cm. You're measuring 116.3cm because your metre rule is accurate to the nearest milllimetre. So yes; you're rounding up. I'd be interested to know what the logic is in making measurements to the nearest 0.5mm.

Sojourner01 said:
Because you're not measuring 116.25cm. You're measuring 116.3cm because your metre rule is accurate to the nearest milllimetre. So yes; you're rounding up. I'd be interested to know what the logic is in making measurements to the nearest 0.5mm.

Because i see a book say that we use the uncertainty as the half the smaller scale in meter rule.

A measurement should be given in the format:

measurement +/- uncertainty in the measurement

for example

123.4 +/- 0.2 mm

in such a case there is clearly a measure of uncertainty in the final digit (4) of the measurment. That is why it is sensible to estimate the final digit (fractional part of a millimeter) when measuring with a ruler.

Have a look at this award winning site

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/measurement/index.shtml"

Last edited by a moderator:
Because i see a book say that we use the uncertainty as the half the smaller scale in meter rule.

Indeed. That's exactly what you're doing. This is because the greatest distance a measurement can possibly be from one of the small graduations is 0.5mm. A measurement rounded to the nearest millimetre could be a minimum of 0.5mm less than that number, or a maximum of 0.5mm greater.

Related to Error Analysis: Lab Report Decimal Places

What is error analysis in a lab report?

Error analysis in a lab report is the process of identifying and quantifying the uncertainties or errors associated with the data and results presented in the report. It involves evaluating the sources of error and their potential impact on the accuracy and precision of the experiment.

Why is error analysis important in a lab report?

Error analysis is important in a lab report because it allows for a thorough and transparent evaluation of the experiment's results. It helps to identify and understand the limitations of the data, which is crucial for drawing valid conclusions and making informed decisions based on the findings.

What is the difference between accuracy and precision in error analysis?

Accuracy refers to how close the measured value is to the true or accepted value, while precision refers to how close the measured values are to each other. In error analysis, accuracy is affected by systematic errors, while precision is affected by random errors.

How do you calculate and report uncertainties in a lab report?

Uncertainties in a lab report can be calculated using different methods, such as the propagation of errors or the standard deviation. The uncertainty should be reported as a range, typically with a plus or minus symbol, and should be consistent with the number of significant figures in the measured value.

What are some common sources of error in a lab experiment?

Common sources of error in a lab experiment include human error, equipment limitations, environmental factors, and systematic errors. Human error can occur due to mistakes in measurement or recording data, while equipment limitations can lead to imprecise measurements. Environmental factors such as temperature or humidity can also affect the results. Systematic errors are inherent to the experiment and can occur due to faulty equipment or experimental design.

Back