Error: attempt to move .org backwards

• Thread starter mrz1982
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the programmer is trying to declare some variables using the g77 compiler, but is getting an error. The problem seems to be with the size of the variables, as the code works when the variables are declared as (2001,*), but fails when they are declared as (2001,*),100x100x100. The programmer suggests trying to allocate the variables dynamically, and suggests that if the problem persists that they may need to increase the compiler's memory limit.
mrz1982
Hi!

When I compile I am getting this error:
Code:
C:\libmingw>C:\MinGW\bin\mingw32-make.exe
g77 -c -O2 fgnmod.f
C:\DOCUME~1\Z\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccyybaaa.s: Assembler messages:
C:\DOCUME~1\Z\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccyybaaa.s:1018: Error: attempt to move .org backwards
C:\DOCUME~1\Z\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccyybaaa.s:1019: Error: attempt to move .org backwards
C:\DOCUME~1\Z\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccyybaaa.s:1020: Error: attempt to move .org backwards
C:\DOCUME~1\Z\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccyybaaa.s:1021: Error: attempt to move .org backwards
C:\DOCUME~1\Z\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccyybaaa.s:1022: Error: attempt to move .org backwards
C:\DOCUME~1\Z\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccyybaaa.s:1023: Error: attempt to move .org backwards
mingw32-make: *** [fgnmod.o] Error 1
This comes as I am trying to declare these variables
Code:
	REAL VarX(200001,252), VarY(200001,251)
	REAL VarX1(200001,501), VarY1(200001,500)
	REAL VarX2(200001,501), VarY2(200001,500)
	REAL VarX3(200001,501), VarY3(200001,500)
	REAL VarX4(200001,501), VarY4(200001,500)
	REAL VarX5(200001,501), VarY5(200001,500)
I don't get this error and this code works as these variables are (2001,*), i.e. 100 times smaller. I have a feeling this can have something to do with memory limits of the compiler or the computer. Is there any way to increase this limit (if that is the problem)? or how can this otherwise be solved?
I need to run this code with variable of size (350001,*) or larger.

I should add that I am working with a WinXP (i think 32 bit) with 4GB RAM (of course this is not used as WinXP cannot handle 4GB RAM).

/Z

Technology news on Phys.org
mrz1982 said:
I don't get this error and this code works as these variables are (2001,*), i.e. 100 times smaller. I have a feeling this can have something to do with memory limits of the compiler or the computer. Is there any way to increase this limit (if that is the problem)? or how can this otherwise be solved?
I need to run this code with variable of size (350001,*) or larger.

I should add that I am working with a WinXP (i think 32 bit) with 4GB RAM (of course this is not used as WinXP cannot handle 4GB RAM).

/Z
Good luck with that! Each of those arrays is nearly 400 megabytes in size.

Agreed. I recently started a numerical analysis with around 300k grid points. My grid was split into around 100 blocks and takes 6 days to solve on 16 processors.

I don't have any time constraints, let it take 1 week to run the code, that is fine by me as long as it works!

The point is that a lot of work and research is done to be able to solve large problems numerically.

Is there any way to break those arrays into smaller pieces? I'm guessing it just simply doesn't like the size of those.

edit: When we do a large CFD run, sometimes involving MILLIONS of grid points, usually the largest allocated array is on the order of 100x100x100.

There's a huge difference between dynamically allocated arrays and static arrays. Have you tried going to dynamic allocation?

In my case it is not possible to break the arrays into smaller pieces. But I will try to allocate the arrays dynamically (as soon as I find out how :) )

Related to Error: attempt to move .org backwards

What does "Error: attempt to move .org backwards" mean?

This error means that the program or code is trying to move a file or data to a previous location or version, which is not possible.

Why am I getting this error message?

You are getting this error message because the program or code you are using is attempting to move a file or data to a previous location or version, which is not allowed.

How can I fix this error?

To fix this error, you need to identify where in the code the attempt to move .org backwards is happening and make the necessary changes to ensure that the data or file is being moved to a valid location.

What can cause this error to occur?

This error can occur due to various reasons such as incorrect coding, a bug in the program, or an attempt to access a file or data that no longer exists.

Is there a way to prevent this error from happening?

Yes, you can prevent this error from happening by carefully reviewing your code and ensuring that all file and data movements are in the correct direction and to valid locations. You can also use debugging tools to catch any potential issues before they cause an error.