Error Propagation (Percentage) - sin(x)^2 / x^2

In summary, the conversation is about dealing with percentage errors in equations, specifically in the equation y = sin(x)^2 / x^2. The question is whether to simplify the equation or use the derivative method to calculate the error. The concept of relative and absolute deviations is also discussed, with formulas provided for calculating relative errors in terms of standard deviations and average values.
Strides
Hey, I'm trying to propagate my percentage errors through some hefty equations and come up on a bit of snag:

I've got a percentage error for x and know how to deal with it for trig functions and powers, however since both errors are from the same source:

y = sin(x)^2 / x^2

Should I just simplify it to: 2*error

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by percentile errors? Do you mean you have something like the 25th percentile, 50th percentile (median), and 75th percentile of x?

Sorry, I just mean that I've converted the error, from absolute to percentage beforehand. I've just edited my original post to fix the mistake.

If the errors are small, then you can take the derivative of both sides of the equation. You get something of the form
dy = (...) dx
then just plug your error into dx, and then dy will be your error in y.

As Khashishi said, it is something like: dy = y'(x) dx, where dx, dy are absolute deviations. Relative deviations are dx/x, dy/y:

dy/y(x) = y'(x)/y(x) * x * dx/x

Here x,y,y(x),y'(x) should be computed for x=reference value of x (the one supposedly without errors).

If you take errors dx, dy to be standard deviations, then relative errors would be:

dy/|y(x)| = | y'(x)/y(x) * x | * dx/|x|

and x should be the average value of x. Relative errors can be expressed in % (of the average values). Formulas are approximative and work for a small relative error in x.

Related to Error Propagation (Percentage) - sin(x)^2 / x^2

1. What is error propagation in percentage?

Error propagation in percentage is a method used to determine the uncertainty or error in a calculated result, expressed as a percentage of the measured value.

2. How is error propagation calculated?

Error propagation is calculated by multiplying the relative uncertainties of each variable in a given equation and expressing the result as a percentage.

3. How is error propagation applied to the equation sin(x)^2 / x^2?

In the equation sin(x)^2 / x^2, error propagation can be applied by finding the relative uncertainties of each variable (x and sin(x)) and then multiplying them together to get the overall uncertainty, which can then be expressed as a percentage.

4. What does the percentage in error propagation represent?

The percentage in error propagation represents the amount of uncertainty or error in a calculated result, expressed as a percentage of the measured value.

5. How can error propagation be minimized?

Error propagation can be minimized by reducing the uncertainties of the variables involved in a given equation. This can be achieved through careful measurement techniques and using more precise instruments.