Errors in Cv Testing Results for Dynamic Torque Test

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced in collecting accurate data in dynamic torque tests on Butterfly valves. Possible solutions include increasing the sampling rate, using filters to remove noise, and holding the valve at multiple angles for pressure stabilization. Proper calibration of equipment is also crucial for accurate data collection.
Paddy617
Hi all,

Preface:
So I have run several series of dynamic torque tests on different size 1/4 turn Butterfly valves. In the test, I am measuring upstream pressure, downstream pressure, valve angle (90° is open, 0 is closed), and torque on a transducer. I know the flow rate, which is in GPM. I am using LabVIEW's SignalExpress to import this data and put it in excel tables. From the upstream and downstream pressure, i can calculate the pressure difference. Then from this and the flow rate, i can calculate the flow coefficient, Cv. LabVIEW is sampling 1,000 samples at 1,000Hz (A sample every millisecond.) Also...the substance is water at room temperature.

Problem:
Upon graphing Valve Angle on the x-axis and Cv on the y-axis it is obvious that I have errors.
It seems as if my upstream pressure sensor goes to 0 randomly when the valve is open. Also, both pressure sensors do not give a smooth transition or linear data and my torque transducer gives huge errors at random points. This can all be seen on the attached pic and this troubles me because all the DAQ tools are calibrated to NIST standards.

Does anyone know how to eliminate these fluctuations on the graphs?

Attempt at a Solution
My main goal is to have accurate position vs Cv data. The only thing I can think of is to decrease the sampling rate to 1 data point every 0.1 seconds. Also, I may hold the valve every 10° to ensure the pressures have stabalized.

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experiment and the challenges you are facing with your data. It seems like you have a well-designed setup and are using appropriate tools for data collection. However, it is not uncommon to encounter fluctuations or errors in experimental data, especially in dynamic tests.

One possible solution to eliminate these fluctuations is to increase the sampling rate and take more data points during the valve movement. This will allow for a more accurate representation of the pressure and torque values at different valve angles. Additionally, it is important to make sure that all equipment and sensors are properly calibrated and functioning correctly to ensure accurate data collection.

Another approach to consider is using a smoothing algorithm or filter to remove any noise or spikes in the data. This can help to create a more consistent and smooth graph of valve angle vs Cv. However, it is important to carefully select the appropriate filter and understand its effects on the data.

In terms of holding the valve at certain angles to allow for pressure stabilization, this can also help to improve the accuracy of the data. However, it may be more effective to hold the valve at multiple angles throughout the movement to ensure that the pressure has stabilized at each point.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in improving the accuracy of your data. It may also be beneficial to consult with a colleague or a data analysis expert for further guidance and support. Good luck with your experiment!

Related to Errors in Cv Testing Results for Dynamic Torque Test

1. What is the purpose of a dynamic torque test?

The purpose of a dynamic torque test is to measure the amount of torque, or rotational force, that a particular object or system can withstand without breaking or failing. This type of test is commonly used in the automotive and aerospace industries to evaluate the durability and reliability of various components.

2. What are some common sources of error in dynamic torque testing?

Some common sources of error in dynamic torque testing include mechanical friction, misalignment of testing equipment, and variations in environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity. Human error, such as improper calibration or inconsistent testing procedures, can also contribute to inaccuracies in the results.

3. How can errors in dynamic torque testing results be minimized?

To minimize errors in dynamic torque testing results, it is important to carefully calibrate and maintain testing equipment, as well as follow standardized testing procedures. It is also important to carefully consider and control for potential sources of error, such as mechanical friction and environmental factors, during the testing process.

4. What is the role of statistical analysis in evaluating dynamic torque testing results?

Statistical analysis plays a crucial role in evaluating dynamic torque testing results, as it allows for the identification and quantification of any variations or inconsistencies in the data. This can help to determine the accuracy and precision of the testing method and identify any potential sources of error that may need to be addressed.

5. Can dynamic torque testing results be affected by the type of equipment used?

Yes, the type of equipment used can have a significant impact on the results of a dynamic torque test. Different types of equipment may have different levels of accuracy and precision, and may also measure torque in different units. It is important to carefully consider the capabilities and limitations of the testing equipment when interpreting and comparing results.