Establishing uniqueness of an isomorphism

In summary, the author is trying to find an isomorphism between two cyclic groups, and is not sure how to go about it. However, he has shown that there is an isomorphism between G and G' if and only if c is a generator of G. However, he is not sure what his claim should be.
sutupidmath

Homework Statement

Let G=[a] and G'= be cyclic groups of the same order. Show, that among the isomorphisms [tex] \theta[/tex] from G to G', there is exactly one with [tex] \theta(a)=c[/tex] if and only if c is a generator of G.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to show the existence, only i am not sure how to establish the uniqueness of such an isomorphism. I know that a proof by contradiction would work, only that i am not sure what i have to prove.
To establish the existence i proceded:
=> Let o(G)=m=o(G'), and let [tex] \theta:G->G'[/tex] be an isomorphism given with [tex]\theta(a)=c[/tex] then from here i easily showed that c is a generator of G'.
<= Let's suppose that c is a generator of G', then i also managed to show that the mapping [tex] \theta(a)=c[/tex] is actually an isomorphism.

Here it actually is what i am not sure of. On the second part, should i also show here that such an isomorphism is unique, or i should also on the other side?

Also, i am not sure what my claim should state:
1. Let's suppose that there are more than one isomorphisms given with [tex]\theta(a)=c[/tex], that is let's suppose that both [tex]\theta_1(a)=c, and , \theta_2(a)=c[/tex] are such isomorphisms, or whether my claim should be something like this:
2. Let's suppose that there are more than one such isomorphisms, that is let's suppose that both:

[tex]\theta(a_1)=c, and, \theta(a_2)=c[/tex] are such isomorphisms, where a_1 and a_2 are generators of G?

Or none of these would work?

P.S This, indeed, is NOT a homework problem, i only thought since it is a typical textbook problem, i would receive more answers here.

I would really appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, if 1. would be true then:

from ther we would have:[tex]\theta_1(a)=\theta_2(a)[/tex] now since a is the generator of G, it would mean that this relationship holds true for any element x in G. So, this would mean that [tex]\theta_1[/tex] is the same as [tex]\theta_2[/tex],and thus such an isomorphism is unique.

But this seems too easy to be true, and thus correct, right? Is this close to being the right path?

Last edited:
any suggestions?

Related to Establishing uniqueness of an isomorphism

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two objects that preserves their essential structure. In other words, it is a mapping between two objects that maintains their properties and relationships.

2. Why is it important to establish uniqueness of an isomorphism?

Establishing the uniqueness of an isomorphism is important because it ensures that there is only one possible mapping between two objects that preserves their structure. This allows us to confidently use isomorphisms in mathematical proofs and applications.

3. How is uniqueness of an isomorphism determined?

The uniqueness of an isomorphism is determined by comparing the essential properties and relationships of the two objects. If there is only one possible mapping that preserves these properties, then the isomorphism is considered unique.

4. Can an isomorphism be unique for some properties but not for others?

Yes, an isomorphism can be unique for certain properties but not for others. This is because some properties may be more essential or defining for the two objects than others. In such cases, the isomorphism will be unique only for those specific properties.

5. How can the uniqueness of an isomorphism be proven?

The uniqueness of an isomorphism can be proven through mathematical reasoning and rigorous proofs. This involves showing that there is only one possible mapping between the two objects that preserves their structure, and that no other mappings can achieve the same result.