Estimates of the remainder in Taylor's theorem

In summary: Maybe there's an erratum sheet for the book.In summary, the conversation discusses using the general binomial series to approximate the value of ##\sqrt{1.2}## up to 2 decimal points. The solution provided an estimate for the remainder, but the formula given in the book had a discrepancy, causing confusion for the individual. They also mention frustration with discrepancies between the solutions for end-of-chapter exercises and what the book says. The expert suggests checking with the instructor or looking for an erratum sheet for the book.
bubblewrap
Here is the exercise question;
Use the general binomial series to get ##\sqrt{1.2}## up to 2 decimal points
In the solution the ##R_1## was given as
##|R_1|\leq {\frac{1}{8}} {\frac{(0.2)^2}{2}}## But it doesn't say where this came from and comparing this with the estimate of remainder given in Taylor's theorem didn't help. Another thing that was frustrating was that the solutions for the end-of-chapter exercises was somewhat different what the book said for example they didn't include the n+1 factorial in the estimates of the remainder.
Please help this is driving me crazy.

Physics news on Phys.org
bubblewrap said:
Here is the exercise question;
Use the general binomial series to get ##\sqrt{1.2}## up to 2 decimal points
What is f here? IOW, what is the function whose binomial series you are estimating?
bubblewrap said:
In the solution the ##R_1## was given as
##|R_1|\leq {\frac{1}{8}} {\frac{(0.2)^2}{2}}## But it doesn't say where this came from and comparing this with the estimate of remainder given in Taylor's theorem didn't help.
What does your book give for the formula of the remainder?
bubblewrap said:
Another thing that was frustrating was that the solutions for the end-of-chapter exercises was somewhat different what the book said for example they didn't include the n+1 factorial in the estimates of the remainder.
Actually, I think they did. In what you showed above, what is n? What is n + 1?
bubblewrap said:
Please help this is driving me crazy.
Please show us what you've done so far.

The function is ##\sqrt{1+x}##, the question doesn't give you what the function is, it was a part of the process.
The book says ##|R_n(x)|\leq {\frac{M_{n+1}}{(n+1)!}} |x|^{n+1}##
The question I posted is not the one that didn't include the factorial, the one above has an additional ##{\frac{1}{2}}## and a couple others had this as well. I did the calculation for about 6 times, there still could have been a mistake but not likely.

bubblewrap said:
The function is ##\sqrt{1+x}##, the question doesn't give you what the function is, it was a part of the process.
The "process" is just recognizing what the underlying function is, which in this case is f(x) = (1 + x)1/2.
bubblewrap said:
The book says ##|R_n(x)|\leq {\frac{M_{n+1}}{(n+1)!}} |x|^{n+1}##
The question I posted is not the one that didn't include the factorial, the one above has an additional ##{\frac{1}{2}}## and a couple others had this as well. I did the calculation for about 6 times, there still could have been a mistake but not likely.
For R1 (where n = 1), the error is going to have a factor of 1/2! = 1/2. Is that what you're asking about?

Also, since this is a problem involving a binomial series expansion, it might be helpful to write the first few terms of the expansion of (1 + x)1/2.

No that's not what I'm asking about, if you do the calculation you'll see that it's different from the value here.
The max is 1/4 and you divide it by 2! and multiply the whole thing again by 0.2 squared.

OK, now I see what you are saying, and I agree with you. Here f(x) = (1 + x)1/2, so f'(x) = (1/2)(1 + x)-1/2, and f''(x) = (-1/4)(1 + x)-3/2. The maximum value of |f''(x)| occurs when x = 0, so |f''(x)| <= 1/4. This means that |R1| <= (1/4) * (1/2!) * (.2)2, same as what you're saying.

Unless I'm missing something here, it looks like there's a typo in your book.

Yeah looks like it. Thanks for the help :) really needed it

It wouldn't hurt to ask your instructor about it.

FAQ: Estimates of the remainder in Taylor's theorem

1. What is Taylor's theorem?

Taylor's theorem is a mathematical concept that states that any smooth function can be approximated by a polynomial function. It is named after the British mathematician Brook Taylor.

2. What is the remainder in Taylor's theorem?

The remainder in Taylor's theorem refers to the difference between the actual value of a function and its approximation using the polynomial function. It is also known as the error or residual in the approximation.

3. How is the remainder calculated in Taylor's theorem?

The remainder in Taylor's theorem is calculated using the Lagrange form of the remainder, which is given by the formula R_n(x) = f^(n+1)(c)(x-a)^(n+1)/(n+1)!, where c is a value between x and a.

4. Why is the remainder important in Taylor's theorem?

The remainder in Taylor's theorem is important because it allows us to quantify the accuracy of the approximation. By knowing the value of the remainder, we can determine how close the polynomial approximation is to the actual value of the function.

5. How can the remainder be used in real-world applications?

The remainder in Taylor's theorem can be used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It allows us to make accurate predictions and estimations, which are essential in many fields of science and technology.

Back