Estimates on accelerations for different objects

• Thread starter samrox126
  • Start date
In summary: The tennis ball serve has a higher impulse than a sports car and electron. A tennis ball serve has an impulse of 440 N/m, while a sports car has an impulse of 97 N/m. A tennis ball serve has a Momentum of 9.8 kg m/s, while a sports car has a Momentum of 0.5 kg m/s.
samrox126

Homework Statement

[/B]
Write a “short” entry (at least 5 to 6 sentences) that shows estimates of the accelerations of different objects including a sports car (please specify make and model), a tennis ball serve and an electron in an electric field. Compare and Contrast the accelerations of these objects.

Homework Equations

[/B]
force F=qE.
a=qE/m.

The Attempt at a Solution

Electron goes faster than a sports car and a tennis ball serve. A sports car goes 97 km/hr in 3.5 seconds.
I just don't know how to expand my answer in terms of comparing the accelerations of these objects.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
did you have a question? (I probably can't help cause I'm not to the point where I've been taught F=qE but I feel like you should specify where your having difficulty, from what u wrote it seems like your getting it)

I just don't know how to expand my answer in terms of comparing the accelerations of these objects.

for an essay q huh, just throw in every step of your quantitive analysis (right down to a=Δv/Δt), the put in in terms of order of magnitude, and maybe for show throw in some similar velocity realationships people can visualize (such as an electron acc./car acc. is proportional to a jet plane and a turtle, or something)

you get the physics of it, now you just want to make it sound good, think of how these comparisons would have made sense to you before you took a physics coiurse

personally I feel its a subjective lame question better suited for an education class, but if you got to go throw the motions to get the good old essay format out of it going through the motion shouldn't be that hard

How about this?

Electrons accelerate when placed in an electric field (E). An electron placed between a negatively charged cathode and positively charged anode will feel a force F=qE. A particle with mass m to which a force is applied will have an acceleration a=F/m, therefore a particle in an electric field will experience an acceleration a=qE/m.

A sports car is able to reach 0–100 km/h time or 0–60 mph (0–97 km/h) in 3.5 seconds or less for the first list, or cover quarter mile (402 m) from a standing start in 12 seconds or less.

Impulse and Momentum are two key biomechanical factors that are used in the tennis serve. Impulse is “the product force, multiplied by the time that a force acts.” Momentum is the product of mass and velocity. So in order to increase an object’s momentum, we need to increase the impulse. In order to increase the momentum of a tennis ball in a serve (increasing it’s speed and velocity), the impulse force of the racquet needs to be increased. Newton’s second law states that: “the acceleration of an object is proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to the mass of the object: Force=mass X acceleration (F=ma).” Hence, the easiest way to increase the momentum of the tennis ball is to increase the acceleration of the racquet before it makes contact with the ball. This also means increasing the speed of the torso and arms. This allows faster movement of the racquet. The greater the acceleration of the racquet during the wind-up stage, the greater the force in which is applied when connecting with the ball. This will in turn increase the momentum of the tennis ball and increase the speed of the ball.

FAQ: Estimates on accelerations for different objects

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, acceleration is the measure of how fast an object's velocity is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration depend on the units of velocity and time used in the calculation. In the SI (International System of Units), the units of acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s²). In the imperial system, the units are feet per second squared (ft/s²).

4. How do accelerations vary for different objects?

The acceleration of an object can vary depending on factors such as the object's mass, shape, and the forces acting on it. For example, a heavier object will have a lower acceleration compared to a lighter object when the same force is applied.

5. How can acceleration be measured or estimated?

Acceleration can be measured using instruments such as accelerometers or by analyzing the change in an object's velocity over time. It can also be estimated by using mathematical models and equations, or through experiments and observations.

Back