Estimating resistance of a wire

In summary, the conversation discusses how to estimate the resistance of a wire based on its length, diameter, and resistivity. It is determined that resistance is inversely proportional to cross sectional area and directly proportional to length. The equation R = (L*rho)/A is provided to calculate resistance, and the answer of 360 ohms is validated.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure.

Homework Equations

N/A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not to sure how I'm suppose to estimate the resistance of the wire based on its length and diameter.

I'll take an educated guess and try to cancel units to get what I want.

If,

[tex]\rho = 5.5 * 10^{-8} \Omega m[/tex]

Then I want to cancel the meters out and I'll be left with ohms which would be my estimated resistance for this filament.

But which measurement would I use to cancel my meters out? The length of the wire? (2cm in this case) Or the diameter of the wire? (25[tex]\mu[/tex]m)

I thought of calculating the surface area of the circle at the tip of the wire, and summing up an infinite amount of circles across the length of the wire and then trying to solve for the resistance, but I keep getting some pretty weird numbers.

Oh, and when it says compare your answer with the value obtained in part b, I obtained a reistance of 360 ohms.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

Attachments

• A1Q1.JPG
    A1Q1.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
As the cross sectional area of a piece of wire increases (like water down a bigger pipe) there is less resistance. Therefore the resistance of the wire is inversely proportional to cross sectional area.

As the length of a piece of wire increases, there is more resistance (more force to get the water to the other end). Therefore the resistance of the wire is proportional to the length.

The last factor is a characteristic of the wire, known as the resistivity and designated the Greek symbol rho, which you are given.

Therefore, R = [tex]\frac{L*\rho}{A}[/tex]

Note that this gives R = [tex]\frac{m*\Omega m}{m^{2}}[/tex] = [tex]\Omega[/tex]

I would agree with your 360Ohms initial answer too.

Last edited:
Thank you, this cleared up all the confusion I had!

FAQ: Estimating resistance of a wire

What is the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is the measure of opposition to the flow of electric current through the wire. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is dependent on factors such as the material, length, and cross-sectional area of the wire.

How do you estimate the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire can be estimated by using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. This can be calculated by measuring the voltage across the wire and the current passing through it, and then using the formula R=V/I.

What factors affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is affected by its material, length, and cross-sectional area. Different materials have different resistivity, which is a measure of how well a material resists the flow of electric current. Longer wires have higher resistance as there is more material for the current to pass through. A larger cross-sectional area means a lower resistance as there is more space for the current to flow through.

How does temperature affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire increases with an increase in temperature. This is due to the increase in the vibration of atoms in the wire, which hinders the free flow of electrons and increases resistance. Different materials have different temperature coefficients of resistance, which determine how much the resistance changes with a change in temperature.

Why is it important to estimate the resistance of a wire?

Estimating the resistance of a wire is important in understanding how different factors affect the flow of electric current. It is also crucial in designing and building electrical circuits, as the correct resistance is necessary for the circuit to function properly. Additionally, knowing the resistance of a wire is important in ensuring the safety of the circuit and preventing overheating or potential hazards.

Back