Estimating the integral of a decreasing trigonometric function

In summary, Adam is working on an assignment for his numerical analysis class and needs to evaluate an integral from 0 to a large A using numerical methods. He also needs to estimate the integral from A to infinity by finding a method to bound the remainder in the tail. His idea is to substitute u = x^2 and use the maximum of the cos function as 1 to remove it and integrate the remaining function for a maximum bound. However, upon further consideration, he realizes that using cos(x^2)^2<=1 will also give the same result.
TehAdzMan
Hi,

So this is part of an assignment for my numerical analysis class.

The integral is this:

[tex]

\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x} \cos^2 (x^2) dx

[/tex]

We are instructed to evaluate the integral from 0 to some large A using numerical methods (which I'm fine with), and then estimate the tail, ie the integral from A to infinity.

Basically we need to come up with some method to estimate and bound the remainder in the tail.
My idea was to substitute [tex] u = x^2 [/tex] which gives [tex] \int_A^{\infty} \frac{e^{- \sqrt{u}} \cos^2(u)}{\sqrt{u}} du [/tex]
and then I guess take the maximum of the cos function as 1 and just remove it, and use the remaining function, which I think would be quite easy to integrate and would give a maximum bound.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
TehAdzMan said:
Hi,

So this is part of an assignment for my numerical analysis class.

The integral is this:

[tex]

\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x} \cos^2 (x^2) dx

[/tex]

We are instructed to evaluate the integral from 0 to some large A using numerical methods (which I'm fine with), and then estimate the tail, ie the integral from A to infinity.

Basically we need to come up with some method to estimate and bound the remainder in the tail.
My idea was to substitute [tex] u = x^2 [/tex] which gives [tex] \int_A^{\infty} \frac{e^{- \sqrt{u}} \cos^2(u)}{\sqrt{u}} du [/tex]
and then I guess take the maximum of the cos function as 1 and just remove it, and use the remaining function, which I think would be quite easy to integrate and would give a maximum bound.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Adam

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see why you just don't use cos(x^2)^2<=1 to get a bound on the tail. But sure, you can do it that way too.

Last edited:
Yeah I just realized that my way is retarded and ends up with the exact same result.

Thanks!

Related to Estimating the integral of a decreasing trigonometric function

1. What is the general method for estimating the integral of a decreasing trigonometric function?

The general method for estimating the integral of a decreasing trigonometric function is to divide the interval of integration into smaller subintervals and use a left or right Riemann sum to approximate the area under the curve.

2. How do I determine the number of subintervals to use in estimating the integral?

The number of subintervals will depend on the level of accuracy desired. Generally, the more subintervals used, the more accurate the estimation will be. However, using too many subintervals can also be time-consuming and computationally expensive.

3. How do I choose the type of Riemann sum to use in estimating the integral?

The choice of whether to use a left or right Riemann sum will depend on the shape of the curve and the behavior of the function. If the function is decreasing, a left Riemann sum may be more accurate, while a right Riemann sum may be more accurate for an increasing function. It is also possible to use a midpoint Riemann sum for a more precise estimation.

4. Can I use a calculator or computer program to estimate the integral of a decreasing trigonometric function?

Yes, there are many calculators and computer programs that can perform numerical integration using Riemann sums. However, it is important to understand the principles behind the estimation method in order to choose appropriate settings and interpret the results.

5. Are there any other methods for estimating the integral of a decreasing trigonometric function?

Yes, there are other numerical integration methods such as Simpson's rule and the Trapezoidal rule that can also be used to estimate the integral of a decreasing trigonometric function. These methods may provide more accurate results with a smaller number of subintervals compared to Riemann sums.