Estimating Tracheal Volume Flow: Physics Activity for Adults | Fun Activity

In summary, the conversation discusses an activity involving measuring the volume flow of air through the trachea during inhalation. The diameter of an adult human trachea is mentioned and the question of what is considered a normal average is raised. One person mentions getting a result of 0.3m^3/s and asks for others' results and opinions on the activity.
Nellen2222
Fun physics activity!

Homework Statement

Under the conditions of normal activity an adult inhales about 1.1l of air during each inhalation. Using a stopwtch, determien the time for one of your own inhalations (avg several to get two significant digits) and hence estimate the volume flow in m^3/s through your trachea during inhalation. the diameter of adult human trachea is 25mm

Homework Equations

q=m^3/s

The Attempt at a Solution

What is a proper or normal average for this kind of thing? I think my answer might be off lol ! i just want to get a good average, tell me what yours is! its kinda fun isn't it!?

Physics news on Phys.org

I got 0.3m^3/s does it make sense?

What time are you using for your inhalations?

FAQ: Estimating Tracheal Volume Flow: Physics Activity for Adults | Fun Activity

1. How does estimating tracheal volume flow work?

Estimating tracheal volume flow involves using the principles of physics to measure the volume of air that passes through the trachea in a given amount of time.

2. What equipment is needed for this activity?

This activity requires a spirometer, which is a device used to measure respiratory flow and volume, as well as a stopwatch to measure time.

3. What is the purpose of this activity?

The purpose of this activity is to provide a fun and interactive way for adults to learn about the physics behind breathing and lung function.

4. Can this activity be done without a spirometer?

No, a spirometer is necessary for accurately measuring tracheal volume flow. Without it, the results may not be as precise.

5. Is this activity suitable for all ages?

This activity is designed for adults, as it involves understanding and applying principles of physics. However, with adult supervision, older children and teenagers may also enjoy and benefit from this activity.

Back