Estimating Volume of an Average Adult Human

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the volume of an average adult human in metres cubed for a current assignment. The strategy discussed involves multiplying the average height by waist circumference and converting to metres, but difficulty arises in finding the average waist size. Feedback and suggestions are welcomed, and the use of mass and density is proposed as a method to find the volume of an oddly-shaped object. The conversation also includes a humorous reference to Archimedes and his approach to problem-solving.
blimkie
For a current assignment i am trying to determine the volume of an average adult human in metres cubed.

My strategy is to mulitply the average hieght by wast circumfrance for a rough estimate and convert to metres however i am having a hard time findng the average waist size.

i found that the avg hieght of a male is 5'9" and the avg female is 5'4"

feedback would be apreciated

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
correction use the cirumfrene of the avg waist to find the radius then find area and mulitply by the hieght.

Surely the way to find the volume of an oddly-shaped object would be easy, if you knew, say, its weight and its density?

Ouch...
I'm 5'8 - female.
Not... <i>quite</i> average.

What would Archimedis do?

Try using mass and density, and assume that the density of a body is approximately that of water. In addition to water, bodies contain fat and protein. Fat is less dense than water, and protein is slightly more dense than water.

http://www.seps.org/oracle/oracle.archive/Life_Science.Biochem/2001.06/000991410254.7589.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
What would Archimedis do?
Great hint, Gokul!
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

arildno said:
Great hint, Gokul!
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
I think Archimedis would immerse himself in the problem. :biggrin:

Just don't forget he was spelled Archimedes :-)

Borek said:
Just don't forget he was spelled Archimedes :-)
Actually, "he" was probably spelled more like αρΧεμεΔες.

Last edited:

FAQ: Estimating Volume of an Average Adult Human

1. How is the volume of an average adult human estimated?

The volume of an average adult human is estimated using a technique called water displacement. This involves submerging the person in a tank of water and measuring the amount of water that is displaced. This amount is then converted into volume using the density of water, which is 1 gram per milliliter.

2. What is the average volume of an adult human?

The average volume of an adult human is approximately 66 liters for males and 52 liters for females. This can vary based on factors such as height, weight, and body composition.

3. Is there a difference in volume between males and females?

Yes, there is a difference in volume between males and females. On average, males have a higher volume due to their larger body size and muscle mass.

4. Can the volume of an adult human change?

Yes, the volume of an adult human can change over time. Factors such as weight gain or loss, muscle mass, and overall health can affect the volume of an individual.

5. Why is estimating the volume of an adult human important?

Estimating the volume of an adult human is important for various reasons. It can help with determining proper medication dosages, designing medical equipment and clothing, and understanding body composition for fitness and health purposes.

Back