Estimation of the volume of a solid.

In summary, the problem asks to estimate the volume of a solid with a base bounded by the graphs of y = x + 3 and y = x^2 - 3, and bounded by the surface z = x^2 + y from above. Rectangular cross sections are taken perpendicular to the x-axis. To solve this problem, the intersection points of the base graphs are found and used to calculate the area of the base. The height of the cross sections is determined by the surface z = x^2 + y. The volume of each thin "slab" is calculated by multiplying the base area by the thickness, dx. Finally, the volume
2dvh

Homework Statement

Estimate the volume of the solid whose base is bounded by the graphs of y = x + 3 and
y = x2 − 3, and bounded by the surface z=x2+y from above, using the indicated rectangular cross sections taken perpendicular to the x-axis (figure is not the actual graph of the functions given above. It is solely a demonstration to help with the problem).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to figure out a way to solve it for hours.
The only thing that I've done was figure out the area of the base, but i don't know if I am on the right track or not, seeing as the professor has not gone over this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did the problem really say "estimate"? It's a pretty straight forward Calculus problem to find the exact volume.
The base graphs y= x+ 3 and y= x^2- 3 (note that "x^2" is clearer than "x2") intersect where y= x+ 3= x^2-3 or x^2- x- 6= (x- 3)(x+ 2) or x= -2, y= 1 and x= 3, y= 6. Rectangular cross-sections perpendicular to the x-axis" means that the area is "height times base" where the base is the difference in y values, x+3-(x^2- 3)= -x^2+ x+ 6 and the height is [tex]z= x^2+ y[/tex]. The volume of a thin "slab" would be that area multiplied by thickness, dx. Integrate that from x= -2 to 3.

So then would the actual area end up being:
-x^4+x^3+6x^2-x^2y+xy+6y
Or am i wrong?

If it is right,would the volume be (125/12)*(2y+3)

FAQ: Estimation of the volume of a solid.

1. What is the process for estimating the volume of a solid?

The process for estimating the volume of a solid involves measuring the dimensions of the solid, such as its length, width, and height, using a ruler or other measuring tool. These measurements are then multiplied together to find the volume in cubic units.

2. Why is it important to estimate the volume of a solid?

Estimating the volume of a solid is important in many scientific fields, such as engineering, architecture, and chemistry. It allows us to calculate the amount of space occupied by an object, which is crucial for designing structures, conducting experiments, and analyzing data.

3. What are some common units used to measure the volume of a solid?

The most commonly used units for measuring volume are cubic centimeters (cm³), cubic meters (m³), and cubic inches (in³). These units can be converted to each other using conversion factors.

4. Can the volume of a solid be estimated using other methods besides measuring?

Yes, there are other methods for estimating the volume of a solid. For irregularly shaped solids, the water displacement method can be used. This involves placing the solid in a container of water and measuring the change in water level. The difference in volume of water before and after placing the solid gives an estimate of the solid's volume.

5. Are there any limitations to estimating the volume of a solid?

Yes, there are limitations to estimating the volume of a solid. The accuracy of the estimation depends on the precision of the measurements and any assumptions made about the shape of the solid. Additionally, some solids may have irregular shapes or void spaces, making it difficult to accurately estimate their volume.

Back