Etiquette and Rules for Asking and Answering Questions on Physics Forums

• Thread starter Jordan M
  • Start date
In summary, Physics Forums has specific etiquette and rules for asking and answering questions. This includes being respectful and polite, providing clear and concise questions, and avoiding personal attacks. Additionally, responders should provide accurate and helpful answers, cite sources, and avoid spamming or irrelevant comments. Overall, following these guidelines promotes a positive and informative community for discussing physics.
Jordan M
Hey Everyone. I have been reading and viewing this form for a few months now and thought that it would be a good idea to go ahead and create an account. I love physics it I find it so interesting, however I have struggled quite a bit recently as my math background is not super strong. I am an Occupational Therapist Graduated Nova Southeastern and worked for a few years then decided to go back to school to pursue medicine. Currently Working on Pre reqs at UCLA, I am here to learn and explore new thought processes not just pass a test. Any insight or suggestions would be welcomed and thanks in advance. Sincerely Jordan

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jordan M. :welcome:

Likes Jordan M
Jordan M said:
I am here to learn and explore new thought processes...
A stellar goal indeed!

Likes Jordan M
Thanks, any pointers for etiquette or where to seek info on rules for asking questions or answering questions?

Jordan M said:
...any pointers for etiquette or where to seek info on rules for asking questions or answering questions?
Available as INFO in the banner across the top of the browser window: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

By no means official and I've been here less than a year, but here is what I've observed.

Many of us try to keep our Ego under control. When that fails or you get into a war-of-words with someone, keep it out of public by starting a Conversation with them (click on their screen name in the blue band that heads every post and select "Start a Conversation".) (I was informed of this nicety after not following it once.)

We also tend to thank a member, usually publicly, when they point out something we didn't get quite right or left something out. If we spot an error we will, not infrequently, notify the poster/ask for clarification, via a Conversation rather than publically; this is especially true if the thread originator is a student or someone completely confused. Adding conflicting info for a confused persons consideration seems counterproductive. There are also many instances where a correction/different view is quite appropriate in a thread. Altogether a grey area.

I guess it all boils down to just Keep It Civil. (The Mentors will step in when needed, or requested... and they do an excellent job of keeping the crazies out!)

Likes Jordan M
Back