Euler Buckling Load of Spaghetti: Length & Diameter Impact

In summary, a 5 cm piece of spaghetti with a diameter of 2mm and a weight of 0.2 gms can withstand a tension load of 5 kg before breaking. Its Euler buckling load is 500 gms. If the diameter were increased to 4mm, the length of the spaghetti that could be suspended vertically before breaking under its own weight would be affected. The hanging spaghetti is subject to both tension and compression forces, and the buckling criteria applies to members subject to compressive stresses.
pisiks

Homework Statement

A piece of spaghetti 5 cm in length and 2mm in diameter has a weight of 0.2 gms. It will break under tension at a load of 5 kg (force). And its Euler buckling load is 500 gms (force). What length of the spaghetti could be suspended vertically from one end before it broke under its own weight?

What if the diameter were 4mm?

Homework Equations

EI(d2y / dx2) + Py = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you made an attempt at a solution? Note that buckling criteria applies to members subject to compressive stresses. Is the hanging spaghetti subject to tension forces and/or compression forces?

(Euler's buckling equation)

The Euler buckling load of a material is determined by its elastic modulus (E), moment of inertia (I), and length (L). The diameter (d) is also a factor, as it affects the moment of inertia (I). As the diameter increases, the moment of inertia increases, resulting in a higher Euler buckling load. Therefore, if the diameter of the spaghetti is increased to 4mm, the Euler buckling load will also increase. This means that a longer length of spaghetti could be suspended vertically before it breaks under its own weight.

Using the equation, we can calculate the new Euler buckling load for a 5 cm length and 4mm diameter spaghetti:

EI(d2y / dx2) + Py = 0

Where:
E = elastic modulus of spaghetti
I = moment of inertia of spaghetti
d = diameter of spaghetti
y = deflection
x = length of spaghetti
P = load on the spaghetti

Since the length and weight of the spaghetti remain the same, we can focus on the change in diameter. The moment of inertia of the spaghetti is directly proportional to the diameter, so we can use the following equation to calculate the new moment of inertia (I'):

I' = (pi/64) * d^4

Where:
I' = new moment of inertia
d = new diameter

Substituting the values, we get:

I' = (pi/64) * (0.004m)^4 = 1.6 * 10^-10 m^4

Now, we can use the original Euler buckling equation and solve for the new load (P'):

EI'(d2y/dx2) + P'y = 0

500 g = E * 1.6 * 10^-10 m^4 * (d2y/dx2) + 0.2 g * 9.8 m/s^2 (since 500 g = 0.5 kg and 0.2 g = 0.0002 kg)

Solving for (d2y/dx2), we get:

(d2y/dx2) = -0.6 * 10^11 m^-2

Now, we can use this value to calculate the new length of spaghetti that can be suspended before it breaks under its own weight:

(d2y/dx2) = -0.6 *

Related to Euler Buckling Load of Spaghetti: Length & Diameter Impact

1. What is the Euler buckling load of spaghetti?

The Euler buckling load of spaghetti is the maximum weight or load that a long, thin strand of spaghetti can support before it collapses due to buckling. It is a measure of the spaghetti's structural stability.

2. How does the length of spaghetti impact its buckling load?

The longer the spaghetti, the higher its buckling load will be. This is because longer spaghetti strands have a higher resistance to bending and can support more weight before collapsing. This can be seen in the Euler buckling formula, which shows that the buckling load is directly proportional to the square of the length of the spaghetti.

3. What effect does the diameter of spaghetti have on its buckling load?

The diameter of spaghetti also has a significant impact on its buckling load. Thicker spaghetti strands have a higher buckling load compared to thinner strands. This is because thicker strands have a larger cross-sectional area, which provides more support for the weight placed on them.

4. How does the cooking process affect the buckling load of spaghetti?

Cooking spaghetti can significantly decrease its buckling load. This is because the cooking process softens the spaghetti, making it more pliable and prone to buckling under weight. Therefore, it is important to consider the cooked state of spaghetti when calculating its buckling load.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying the Euler buckling load of spaghetti?

Studying the Euler buckling load of spaghetti has applications in various fields such as engineering, food science, and packaging. Understanding the structural stability of spaghetti can help engineers design stronger and more stable structures. In the food industry, it can aid in the development of better packaging materials for spaghetti to prevent breaking during transportation. Additionally, it can also provide insights into the texture and cooking properties of spaghetti for chefs and food scientists.