Euler Line theoram - part of the proof is not clear to me

In summary, the author provides a proof that the circumcenter, centroild, and orthocenter of a triangle are always colinear. Additionally, the author asks a question about something that is not clear in the proof.
musicgold
This is not homework. I am reading a book: "The art of infinite: The Pleasure of Mathematics" and pages 119-120 give a proof of the Euler Line theoram: the circumcenter, centroild and orthocenter of a triangle are always colinear (see the attached files).

1. Homework Statement

Page 119 shows a triangle with tree points. O, G, and H* are colinear. O is the circumcenter and G is the centroid of the triangle. H* is a point we hope to prove to be the orthocenter (H) of the triangle.

I am not clear on one point in the proof. I have put a question mark against the underlined part on page 120.
I am not sure how we can concldue that CK is parallel to OD (and therefore parpendicular to AB).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

While I can see that ## \Delta## DOG and ## \Delta##CH*G are similar, but I am not sure how we can jump to the concusion that CH* and OD are parallel. What am I missing?

Attachments

• Page119.jpg
    Page119.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 441
  • Page120 .jpg
    Page120 .jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
If you agree that the two triangles are similar, ##\angle CH^* G = \angle DOG## and there is a theorem: angles equal ##\Leftrightarrow## lines parallel

BvU said:
Hi,
there is a theorem: angles equal ##\Leftrightarrow## lines parallel
Thanks.
Could you please point me to that theorem?

I know that if we start with two parallel lines and add two transversal lines, we get two similar triangles. However, here we are concluding that the lines are parallel. Can we not have have two similar triangles where neither of the sides are parallel?

For example, the solution of problem 4 on the following page has two similar triangles but none of the lines are parallel. What am I missing?

Likes musicgold

FAQ: Euler Line theoram - part of the proof is not clear to me

1. What is the Euler Line theorem?

The Euler Line theorem states that in any triangle, the orthocenter, centroid, and circumcenter are collinear, meaning they all lie on the same line. This line is called the Euler Line.

2. How is the Euler Line theorem proven?

The proof of the Euler Line theorem involves using properties of the orthocenter, centroid, and circumcenter, as well as basic geometry principles such as the triangle inequality and the Pythagorean theorem. The full proof is quite complex and involves multiple steps and constructions.

3. What is the role of the orthocenter in the Euler Line theorem?

The orthocenter is a point in a triangle where all three altitudes intersect. In the Euler Line theorem, the orthocenter is one of the three points that are collinear, along with the centroid and circumcenter.

4. Can the Euler Line theorem be applied to all triangles?

Yes, the Euler Line theorem applies to all triangles. This is because the properties of the orthocenter, centroid, and circumcenter are true for all triangles, regardless of their shape or size.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Euler Line theorem?

The Euler Line theorem is mainly used in the field of geometry and mathematics to understand the properties and relationships of triangles. However, it can also be applied in various engineering and design fields, such as architecture and construction, to calculate and optimize the placement of structures within a triangle.