Euler was pronounced with a long u sound

In summary, the correct pronunciation of "Euler" is with a long "u" sound, like "oiler." Other names in science/math such as L'Hopital, Gauss, De Moivre, and Fourier have different pronunciations and are often mispronounced due to their written form. It is recommended to learn proper pronunciation from native speakers or using resources such as pronunciation guides.
GeoMike
"Euler" was pronounced with a long "u" sound

Ok,
Up until last week I thought "Euler" was pronounced with a long "u" sound (like Euclid).

Since most of the famous names of science/math are names I have read, not heard, I was wondering if someone could give me the correct pronunciation of the following names (some of them seem pretty simple, but I thought Euler was too, so who knows now...):

L'Hopital
Gauss
De Moivre
Fourier

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, I'll add more as I think of them.
Thanks!
-GeoMike-

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I always love the challenge of explaining how to pronounce words someone has only seen in writing...in writing. :smile: Especially when I have no way of using diacritical marks to help.

This might help:
http://www.waukesha.uwc.edu/mat/kkromare/up.html

If it's any consolation, I always pronounce Euler wrong too. I know the correct pronunciation, but like you, had spent so long pronouncing it incorrectly based on reading it rather than hearing it that it's permanently stuck in my brain with the wrong pronunciation.

Last edited by a moderator:
L'Hopital - low-pital
Gauss -Gauß
De Moivre -de- mo-yiey? (no r sound)
Fourier -fo-yiey? (no r sound)

When it comes to surnames, all rules are thrown out the window. I love a British sitcom I watch where the wife is always telling people that their name is pronounced Bouquet...even though it's spelled Bucket.

so Euler is said "oiler" right?

Physics is Phun said:
so Euler is said "oiler" right?

Yes.

texxxxxxxxxxxt

cyrusabdollahi said:

I thought it was pronounced like "mauve"s.

I'm so glad to see people follow the links I provide. :rolleyes: De Moivre was in that list.

From moonbear:

duh 'mwah vruh

My guess:

see, I was close.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
From moonbear:

duh 'mwah vruh

My guess:

see, I was close.

Uh huh. :rolleyes: There's an r sound. :wink: :biggrin:

Depends on which French accent you use. :-p

De Moivre : duh-mwa-vruh...with the French "r"
Fourier : Fuh-r-i-eee. No r sound at the end

The "duh" is like the Homer Simpson "duh" but less strong. LOL
marlon

It took me a few years to get the French accent down while studying the language, so I know not everyone would be able to pronounce "De Moivre" using the French 'r.' But at least say "de" as "duh" and not "day." ;)

z-component said:
It took me a few years to get the French accent down while studying the language, so I know not everyone would be able to pronounce "De Moivre" using the French 'r.' But at least say "de" as "duh" and not "day." ;)

OK,

It is always good policy to learn for the best, wouldn't you say. So, for all you native English speakers out there, here is the master of the Fench "r" : Edith Piaf.

Try to mimic the "non, rrrrien de rrrien, non je ne rrregrrette rien". In spoken French, this "r" is a bit too strong but let's take this clip as an example of a "stressed r", just to learn.

LOL

enjoy

marlon

ps : i love the new PF skin update, especially the multi-quote thing

Moonbear said:
This might help:
http://www.waukesha.uwc.edu/mat/kkromare/up.html

Ah! it's great! Now I have my fehrmahs and gowsses right.

Last edited by a moderator:
z-component said:
But at least say "de" as "duh" and not "day." ;)

My wife (who teaches French) has to remind me of this occasionally when I'm talking about the Tour de France. :blushing:

Related to Euler was pronounced with a long u sound

1. How do you pronounce "Euler"?

The name "Euler" is pronounced with a long "u" sound, similar to the word "you-ler".

2. Why is "Euler" pronounced with a long "u" sound?

The pronunciation of "Euler" with a long "u" sound is due to the fact that it is a German name and follows the pronunciation rules of the German language.

3. Is there any other way to pronounce "Euler"?

Some English speakers may pronounce "Euler" with a short "u" sound, similar to "ooler". However, this is not the correct pronunciation according to the original German language.

4. Are there any other names that are pronounced with a long "u" sound?

Yes, there are many other names that are pronounced with a long "u" sound such as "Luther", "Hugo", and "Julius". These names also follow the pronunciation rules of the German language.

5. How can I remember the correct pronunciation of "Euler"?

A helpful tip for remembering the correct pronunciation of "Euler" is to think of it as a combination of the words "you" and "ler". This can help you remember to use the long "u" sound.