Euler's Formula - Moving Particle Argument of Tristan Needham .... ....

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Needham uses the "moving particle argument" to visually support Euler's formula, which states that e^{i\theta} = cos(\theta) + isin(\theta). The argument relies on the fact that the derivative of e^{it} is ie^{it}, causing a rotation of 90 degrees and resulting in the particle traveling around a unit circle with constant radius. While this is not a rigorous proof, it helps to visualize and understand the concept behind Euler's formula.
math771
Hi Peter,

I am also currently reading Needham's book and am at a similar point as you. From my understanding, the "moving particle argument" is a heuristic way of visualizing and understanding Euler's formula, but it is not a rigorous proof. The idea is that as the particle moves along the curve Z(t) = e^{it}, its velocity is always at a right angle to its position vector, which is due to the fact that the derivative of e^{it} is ie^{it}, causing a rotation of 90 degrees.

Now, as for why this results in the particle traveling around a unit circle, it is not immediately obvious. Needham states that it is clear, but as you pointed out, it is not rigorously proven. However, we can think of it in the following way: as the particle moves along the curve, its position vector is constantly changing, but its length remains constant at 1 (since e^{it} has magnitude 1). This means that the particle is always a distance of 1 from the origin, forming a circle of radius 1. Since the velocity is always at a right angle to the position vector, it will always be tangent to this circle, causing the particle to continuously travel around it.

As for the last paragraph, Needham is saying that after a time t = \theta, the particle will have traveled a distance of \theta around the unit circle, and its new position will be at an angle of \theta from the positive real axis. This is exactly what Euler's formula states: e^{i\theta} = cos(\theta) + isin(\theta). The real part represents the x-coordinate on the unit circle and the imaginary part represents the y-coordinate, forming a right triangle with a hypotenuse of length 1 (since the particle is always a distance of 1 from the origin).

I hope this helps clarify the moving particle argument and its connection to Euler's formula. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am reading Tristan Needham's book "Visual Complex Analysis" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1, Section II Euler's Formula ... in particular I am trying to follow Needham's heuristic argument in support of, or justifying, Euler's formula - Needham calls it 'the moving particle argument' ... ...In Chapter 1, Section II (2), Needham considers a particle moving along a curve:\(\displaystyle Z(t) = e^{it} \)So he finds that: \(\displaystyle \frac{dZ}{dt} = ie^{it} = iZ\)Needham then argues that each new velocity, instant by instant, will be at right angles to its new position vector ( ... ? ... presumably because the function \(\displaystyle iZ\) causes a rotation of 90 degrees - is that right ? ) ...He then asserts that "it is clear" that the particle will travel around a unit circle ... ... BUT ... ... why exactly is this the case? ... ... indeed, how do we rigorously prove that this is the case? ... ...
The relevant part of Needham's text is as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5799
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5800
View attachment 5801Now ... just a further question based on a claim in the last paragraph above ... ...

Needham writes:

" ... ... Thus after time \(\displaystyle t = \theta\) the particle will have traveled a distance \(\displaystyle \theta\) round the unit circle, and so the angle of \(\displaystyle Z( \theta ) = e^{i \theta }\) will be \(\displaystyle \theta\). This is the geometric statement of Euler's formula ... ... "
My question is ... ... in what way ... that is how/why is this the geometric statement of Euler's formula ... ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Cute. Though personally I dislike 'physics' or 'real world' explanations of mathematics statements! Yes, it is true that in the complex plane "multiplication by i" rotates a vector (from 0 to point p) by 90 degrees counterclockwise. For example, 1*i= i. The vector from 0 to 1 lies along the positive real axis and the vector from 0 to i lies along the positive imaginary axis- 90 degrees apart. i*i= -1. The vector from 0 to i lies along the positive imaginary axis and the vector from 0 to -1 lies along the negative real axis. Again, a rotation of 90 degrees. One more example: the vector from 0 to 1+ i lies in the first quadrant 45 degrees between the positive real axis and positive imaginary axis. (1+ i)(i)= i- 1. The vector from 0 to -1+ i lies in the second quadrant 45 degrees between the positive imaginary axis and the negative real axis. A rotation of 90 degrees.

Yes, an object moving with acceleration vector of constant length, perpendicular to the velocity vector, moves in a circle with constant radius.

Related to Euler's Formula - Moving Particle Argument of Tristan Needham .... ....

What is Euler's Formula?

Euler's Formula is a mathematical equation that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It is written as eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number. This formula is named after Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler.

What is the Moving Particle Argument of Tristan Needham?

The Moving Particle Argument is a visual representation of Euler's Formula developed by mathematician Tristan Needham. It uses a spiral motion to demonstrate how complex numbers can be expressed in terms of trigonometric functions.

How does the Moving Particle Argument work?

The Moving Particle Argument begins by representing a complex number z as a point on the complex plane. As z changes, the corresponding point moves along a spiral path. This spiral path is made up of infinitely small line segments, each representing a small change in z. As the length of these segments decreases, the spiral converges to a point, which represents the value of ez.

What is the significance of the Moving Particle Argument?

The Moving Particle Argument provides an intuitive understanding of Euler's Formula and how complex numbers relate to trigonometric functions. It also demonstrates the connection between the exponential function and circular motion, which has many applications in physics and engineering.

How is Euler's Formula used in real-world applications?

Euler's Formula has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. It is used to model wave phenomena, such as sound and light, and can be applied to problems in electrical circuits and quantum mechanics. It is also used in computer graphics to create smooth animations and in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt data.