Euquations of kinematics in two dimensions

In summary, the golfer imparts a speed fo 26.0m/s to a ball, and it travels the maximum possible distance before landing on the green.
pookisantoki
A golfer imparts a speed fo 26.0m/s to a ball, and it travels the maximum possible distance before landing on the green. The tee and the green are at the same elevation. A.) How much time does the ball spend in the air? B.) What is the longest "Hole in one" that the golfer can make, if the ball does not roll when it hits the green.

a.) Acceleration of Y= -9.80 Voy=?? and Vy=26m/s and were trying to figure out the T. Since I'm missing Voy and I don't have Vox I can't figure Voy out and I don't know what formula to use not having having Time or Voy.

b.) I know the problem is looking for "Y" displacement but since i can't figure out part A i can't really figure out part b.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet for these 2D projectile questions is to always write two headings and the appropriate formulas for the type of motion involved:
HORIZONTAL
d = vt

VERTICAL
V = Vi + at, d = Vi*t + .5*a*t^2

In this case it is difficult to separate the 26 m/s into its horizontal and vertical components unless you know the angle that gives the "maximum possible distance". Usually in physics courses, you get to try shooting the ball and many different angles to discover the best angle. If you haven't done that yet, you could do it with this problem.

In this case it is difficult to separate the 26 m/s into its horizontal and vertical components unless you know the angle that gives the "maximum possible distance". Usually in physics courses, you get to try shooting the ball and many different angles to discover the best angle. If you haven't done that yet, you could do it with this problem.

I'm not sure how you would find the best angle??

Try 30 degrees and calculate how far it goes. Then try 35, 40, 45, 50 and so on. You should see a maximum. When you do, try going a degree at a time to pin it down. It is worth making a spreadsheet to automate the process. Of course you could ask someone for the answer, but it is really good to figure it out yourself. If you are handy with algebra, you can carry through the calculation with a variable angle A and get a function for the distance. Graph the function vs A to see where the maximum is. Or use calculus to get the maximum if you know that.

FAQ: Euquations of kinematics in two dimensions

1. What is kinematics in two dimensions?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion. In two dimensions, it involves analyzing the motion of objects in a two-dimensional plane, taking into account both horizontal and vertical components.

2. What are the equations of kinematics in two dimensions?

The equations of kinematics in two dimensions include the equations of motion:
- x = x0 + v0xt + 1/2at2
- y = y0 + v0yt + 1/2at2
- vx = v0x + at
- vy = v0y + at
- vx2 = v0x2 + 2a(x-x0)
- vy2 = v0y2 + 2a(y-y0)
- y = y0 + (v0y + vy)t/2

3. How are kinematics equations used in two dimensions?

Kinematics equations are used to describe and analyze the motion of objects in two dimensions. They can be used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time, as well as determine the trajectory and speed of the object.

4. What are the key concepts in kinematics in two dimensions?

The key concepts in kinematics in two dimensions include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, while velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. Time is a measure of the duration of an object's motion.

5. How do forces affect kinematics in two dimensions?

Forces can affect kinematics in two dimensions by causing changes in an object's velocity and acceleration. Forces can be horizontal or vertical, and their magnitude and direction can impact the motion of an object. Newton's laws of motion can be applied to determine how forces affect kinematics in two dimensions.