Evaluate a limit using a series expansion

In summary: Just write out the first few terms of the binomial expansion for fractional exponents. You know, it starts with ##81^{\frac 1 4}(x-1)^0 +\, ...##. Hopefully you know how to do that without using Taylor's expansion, although that will work.Thanks
Perrault

Homework Statement

Use a series expansion to calculate L = [itex]\lim_{x\to\ 1}\frac{\sqrt[4]{80+x}-(3+\frac{(x-1)}{108})}{(x-1)^{2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

A function f(x)'s Taylor Series (if it exists) is equal to [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{f^{(n)}(x)}{n!}\cdot[/itex] (x-a)[itex]^{n}[/itex]
Newton's binomial theorem states that for all |x| < 1 and for any s we have [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}[/itex](s choose n)[itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]x^{n}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is particularly aggravating since L'Hospital's rule applied twice consecutively yields L = [itex]\frac{-3}{32\cdot\sqrt[4]{81^{7}}}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{1}{23328}[/itex], but that wouldn't be suitable given that no series expansion was used.

Using a Taylor expansion would require using an expansion point (a) different than 1, since it is that very point which we need in the first place. Using any other expansion point would require finding the series' radius of convergence. An alternative would be using L'Hospital's rule once, then trying to find that new limit's Taylor series. But don't you dare use L'Hospital's rule twice because that would give us the answer right away without using a series expansion :smile:
In any case, using a Taylor expansion sounds pretty desperate as the function's second, third, and fourth derivative are increasingly huge.

I couldn't get anywhere neither by rearranging the terms nor by using some form of substitution.

Help! :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perrault said:

Homework Statement

Use a series expansion to calculate L = [itex]\lim_{x\to\ 1}\frac{\sqrt[4]{80+x}-(3+\frac{(x-1)}{108})}{(x-1)^{2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

A function f(x)'s Taylor Series (if it exists) is equal to [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{f^{(n)}(x)}{n!}\cdot[/itex] (x-a)[itex]^{n}[/itex]
Newton's binomial theorem states that for all |x| < 1 and for any s we have [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}[/itex](s choose n)[itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]x^{n}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is particularly aggravating since L'Hospital's rule applied twice consecutively yields L = [itex]\frac{-3}{32\cdot\sqrt[4]{81^{7}}}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{1}{23328}[/itex], but that wouldn't be suitable given that no series expansion was used.

Using a Taylor expansion would require using an expansion point (a) different than 1, since it is that very point which we need in the first place. Using any other expansion point would require finding the series' radius of convergence. An alternative would be using L'Hospital's rule once, then trying to find that new limit's Taylor series. But don't you dare use L'Hospital's rule twice because that would give us the answer right away without using a series expansion :smile:
In any case, using a Taylor expansion sounds pretty desperate as the function's second, third, and fourth derivative are increasingly huge.

I couldn't get anywhere neither by rearranging the terms nor by using some form of substitution.

Help! :smile:

Try writing ##\sqrt[4]{80+x}## as ##(81 + (x-1))^\frac 1 4## and expand that. You shouldn't need more than a few terms.

LCKurtz said:
Try writing ##\sqrt[4]{80+x}## as ##(81 + (x-1))^\frac 1 4## and expand that. You shouldn't need more than a few terms.

I'm sorry, I don't understand exactly what you are suggesting. How is ##(81 + (x-1))^\frac 1 4## any easier to expand than ##\sqrt[4]{80+x}##?
Thanks for your help!

Perrault said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand exactly what you are suggesting. How is ##(81 + (x-1))^\frac 1 4## any easier to expand than ##\sqrt[4]{80+x}##?
Thanks for your help!
Well, then x always appears as (x-1) . You could perhaps, substitute u = x-1 .

Look at the Taylor expansion of [itex]\sqrt[4]{81+(x-1)}\,,[/itex] or [itex]\sqrt[4]{81+u}\ .[/itex]

Then rather than asking LCKurtz why he suggested the change, you can ask how he came up with such a useful suggestion.

Perrault said:
Thanks for your help!

Just write out the first few terms of the binomial expansion for fractional exponents. You know, it starts with ##81^{\frac 1 4}(x-1)^0 +\, ...##. Hopefully you know how to do that without using Taylor's expansion, although that will work.

Thanks LCKurtz, it worked :smile:

Related to Evaluate a limit using a series expansion

What is a series expansion?

A series expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function using a series of simpler functions. It is often used to evaluate limits of functions that are difficult to evaluate directly.

How do you evaluate a limit using a series expansion?

To evaluate a limit using a series expansion, first find a known series that approximates the function near the limit point. Then, plug in the limit value into the series and simplify to find the limit value.

What are some common series used in series expansion?

Some common series used in series expansion are Taylor series, Maclaurin series, and geometric series. These series can be generalized to approximate a wide range of functions.

When should I use a series expansion to evaluate a limit?

Series expansion should be used when evaluating a limit of a function that is difficult to evaluate directly, such as a trigonometric or logarithmic function. It can also be used to evaluate limits at infinity.

Can series expansion always be used to evaluate a limit?

No, series expansion can only be used to evaluate a limit if a known series exists that approximates the function near the limit point. If no such series exists, other methods must be used to evaluate the limit.