Evaluate ∠APR if ∠APQ=3∠APR and ∠PAQ=45°

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the value of $\angle APR$ given that $\angle APQ=3\angle APR$ and $\angle PAQ=45^\circ$, with $A$ being the midpoint of $QR$ on triangle $PQR$. The solution involves choosing a unit of length that results in $\overline{QA} = \overline{AR} = 1$, and using trigonometric calculations to find the value of $x$ and subsequently, $\angle APR$. It is also possible to solve the problem using geometric methods, which reveals that $\overline{AP} = 1$ and explains the right angle at $P$.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $A$ be the midpoint of the side $QR$ on a triangle $PQR$. Given that $\angle APQ=3\angle APR$ and $\angle PAQ=45^\circ$, evaluate $\angle APR$.
This is an unsolved problem I found @ AOPS.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[sp]
[TIKZ]\coordinate [label=below left:{$Q$}] (Q) at (-5,0) ;
\coordinate [label=left:{$P$}] (P) at (-3.5,3.5) ;
\coordinate [label=below right:{$R$}] (R) at (5,0) ;
\coordinate [label=below:{$A$}] (A) at (0,0) ;
\coordinate [label=below:{$N$}] (N) at (-3.5,0) ;
\draw (P) -- node
{$x$} (N) ;
\node [fill=white] at (-3.4,2.85) {$3\theta$} ;
\draw [thick] (P) -- (Q) -- (R) -- cycle ;
\draw [thick] (A) -- (P) ;
\node at (-0.7,0.25) {$45^\circ$} ;
\node at (-2.5,2.85) {$\theta$} ;
\node at (-1.75,-0.25) {$x$} ;[/TIKZ]
Choose a unit of length so that $\overline{QA} = \overline{AR} = 1$. Let $PN$ be the perpendicular from $P$ to $QR$ and let $x = \overline{PN} = \overline{NA}.$ Write $\theta$ for $^\angle APR$, so that $^\angle APQ = 3\theta.$ Then $\tan(^\angle NPR) = \dfrac{1+x}x$, and $$\tan\theta = \tan(^\angle NPR - 45^\circ) = \frac{\frac{1+x}x - 1}{1 + \frac{1+x}x} = \frac1{2x+1}.$$ Similarly, $\tan(^\angle NPQ) = \dfrac{1-x}x$, and $$\tan(3\theta) = \tan(^\angle NPQ + 45^\circ) = \frac{\frac{1-x}x + 1}{1 - \frac{1-x}x} = \frac1{2x-1}.$$ But $\tan(3\theta) = \dfrac{3\tan\theta - \tan^3\theta}{1 - 3\tan^2\theta}.$ So (*deep breath*) $$\frac1{2x-1} = \frac{\frac3{2x+1} - \frac1{(2x+1)^3}}{1 - \frac3{(2x+1)^2}}.$$ After multiplying out all the fractions (and in my case, doing so several times until I weeded out all the mistakes), this reduces to $16x^3 - 8x = 0$, for which the only positive solution is $x = \dfrac1{\sqrt2}.$
Thus \(\displaystyle \tan\theta = \frac 1{2x+1} = \frac1{\sqrt2 + 1} = \sqrt2 - 1.\) The answer to the problem is then $^\angle APR = 22.5^\circ$, as you can check by verifying that $\tan(2\theta) = 1$.

Notice that $4\theta = 90^\circ.$ Hence $^\angle QPR$ is a right angle. I assume that there must be an elegant geometric solution to this problem which somehow exploits that fact, but I have no ideas along those lines.
[/sp]​

Hi Opalg!

I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your participation to the two unsolved challenges of mine...and you definitely are on a roll to manage in solving these two hardest challenges that bothered me for quite some time...

I just want to thank you and I also want to tell you that you are my math hero who I hold in the highest esteem! (Blush)(Nod)(Sun)

I thought there might be an elegant geometric way to solve the problem too, and I will definitely try it when I have the time because it is too interesting a problem that one can hardly resist not to attempt at it!(Tmi)

anemone said:
I thought there might be an elegant geometric way to solve the problem too
[sp]As soon as you know that $x = 1/\sqrt2$, it follows (by looking at the triangle $PNA$) that $\overline{AP} = 1$. So $Q,P,R$ all lie on a circle centred at $A$. It then easily follows that $\theta = 22.5^\circ$, and also explains the right angle at $P$. But I don't see how to show that $\overline{AP} = 1$ without using the clunky trigonometric calculation.[/sp]

Related to Evaluate ∠APR if ∠APQ=3∠APR and ∠PAQ=45°

1. What is the measure of angle APR?

The measure of angle APR can be evaluated by using the given information that ∠APQ=3∠APR and ∠PAQ=45°. We can set up an equation: ∠APQ = 3∠APR and ∠APQ + ∠APR + ∠PAQ = 180° (since they form a triangle). Substituting in the value of ∠PAQ, we get 45° + ∠APR + 3∠APR = 180°. Simplifying, we get 4∠APR = 135°. Therefore, ∠APR = 135°/4 = 33.75°.

2. What is the relationship between ∠APR and ∠APQ?

The relationship between ∠APR and ∠APQ is that they are supplementary angles. This means that they add up to 180°. This can be seen in the equation we set up in question 1: ∠APQ + ∠APR + ∠PAQ = 180°.

3. How can we find the measure of angle APQ?

The measure of angle APQ can be found by using the given information that ∠APQ=3∠APR and ∠PAQ=45°. We can set up an equation: ∠APQ = 3∠APR and ∠APQ + ∠APR + ∠PAQ = 180°. Substituting in the value of ∠APR, we get ∠APQ + 33.75° + 45° = 180°. Simplifying, we get ∠APQ = 101.25°.

4. How can we verify that our answer for ∠APR is correct?

We can verify our answer for ∠APR by using the given information and checking if our answer satisfies the conditions. From the given information, we know that ∠APQ=3∠APR and ∠PAQ=45°. Therefore, if we substitute in the value of ∠APR (33.75°) into the equation ∠APQ = 3∠APR, we should get the same value for both sides. Similarly, if we substitute in the value of ∠APR into the equation ∠APQ + ∠APR + ∠PAQ = 180°, we should also get the same value for both sides. If our answer satisfies both of these conditions, then we can be confident that our answer for ∠APR is correct.

5. Can we find the measure of angle PAR with the given information?

No, we cannot find the measure of angle PAR with the given information. We can only find the measure of angle APR using the given information. In order to find the measure of angle PAR, we would need either the measure of angle P or the length of one of the sides of the triangle. Without this information, we cannot determine the measure of angle PAR.