Evaluate both sides of divergence theorem

In summary, the divergence theorem states that the divergence of a vector field between points (x, y, z) is the sum of the divergence of the vector fields between those points and the origin. I was trying to solve for the divergence of the field between points (0, 0, 5) using the equation for D, but I'm having trouble evaluating the left (surface) side. The way I'm doing it is that the z-component is zero since the equation for D only has a rho and phi. From there, I'm evaluating ∫∫Dp*pdθdZ from 0 to pi for dθ and 0 to 5 for dz. I plug in p = 2 as an "
acsol

Homework Statement

NOTE: don't know see the phi symbol so I used theta. this is cylindrical coordinates not spherical.

Given the field D = 6ρsin(θ/2)ap + 1.5ρcos(θ/2)aθ C/m^2 , evaluate both sides of the divergence theorem for the region bounded by ρ=2, θ=0 to ∏, and z = 0 to 5

Homework Equations

∫D * dS = ∫ ∇ * D dV

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer (to both sides of course) is 225. I figured out how to do the divergence side, but I'm having problems evaluating the left (surface) side. The way I'm doing it is that the z-component is zero since the equation for D only has a rho and phi.

From here I'm evaluating ∫∫Dp*pdθdZ from 0 to pi for dθ and 0 to 5 for dz.

I plug in p = 2 as an "initial condition", and when I calculate the integral through I keep getting 240 even though the answer is 225. Any ideas what's going on? Maybe my integral is just wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
acsol said:

Homework Statement

NOTE: don't know see the phi symbol so I used theta. this is cylindrical coordinates not spherical.

Given the field D = 6ρsin(θ/2)ap + 1.5ρcos(θ/2)aθ C/m^2 , evaluate both sides of the divergence theorem for the region bounded by ρ=2, θ=0 to ∏, and z = 0 to 5

Homework Equations

∫D * dS = ∫ ∇ * D dV

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer (to both sides of course) is 225. I figured out how to do the divergence side, but I'm having problems evaluating the left (surface) side. The way I'm doing it is that the z-component is zero since the equation for D only has a rho and phi.

From here I'm evaluating ∫∫Dp*pdθdZ from 0 to pi for dθ and 0 to 5 for dz.

I plug in p = 2 as an "initial condition", and when I calculate the integral through I keep getting 240 even though the answer is 225. Any ideas what's going on? Maybe my integral is just wrong

You are only integrating over part of the surface. You have half a cylinder, it also has a top, a bottom and a flat side. You are only doing the rounded side. Can you picture it? What other part of the surface might contribute to your integral?

Hmm. I thought about that but my answer didn't really change and here's why:

The cylinder has 4 sides, right? Rounded, opposite of rounded (flat), top, and bottom. However, from the given equation for D, we only have a rho and phi component. That automatically makes the top and bottom zero.

WAIT, are you saying that I need to do a coordinate conversion and then calculate the surface dxdz?

acsol said:
Hmm. I thought about that but my answer didn't really change and here's why:

The cylinder has 4 sides, right? Rounded, opposite of rounded (flat), top, and bottom. However, from the given equation for D, we only have a rho and phi component. That automatically makes the top and bottom zero.

WAIT, are you saying that I need to do a coordinate conversion and then calculate the surface dxdz?

Exactly. That's where you'll find the -15 missing units of surface flux. Very sharp of you to figure out how to do it. You are almost there.

Took a while but got it right :approve:

Thanks for the help mate!

Related to Evaluate both sides of divergence theorem

1. What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the vector field within the enclosed volume. It is an important tool in vector calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics and engineering.

2. How does the divergence theorem work?

The divergence theorem states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume. In simpler terms, it means that the amount of a vector field that flows out of a closed surface is equal to the amount of the vector field that is generated within that surface.

3. What is the significance of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem is significant because it allows us to easily calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface without having to directly measure it. This is especially useful in applications where the vector field may be difficult to measure or visualize, such as in fluid flow or electromagnetism.

4. Can the divergence theorem be applied to any vector field?

Yes, the divergence theorem can be applied to any continuous and differentiable vector field. However, in some cases, it may be more convenient to use other theorems, such as Stokes' theorem, to calculate the flux of a vector field.

5. What are some real-world applications of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem has many real-world applications, including calculating fluid flow rates in pipes, determining the strength and direction of an electric field, and analyzing the motion of air around an airplane wing. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents, as well as in engineering and design processes.