Evaluate Integral by Green's Theorem

In summary, Evaluate \int F \cdot dr both directly and by Green’s Theorem. The vector field and the region D is the upper half of a disk of radius a: 0 \leq x^2 + y^2 \leq a^2 , y . The curve C is the boundary of D and oriented counter-clock wise.
tg25007
8. Evaluate \(\displaystyle \int F \cdot dr\) both directly and by Green’s Theorem. The vector field and the region D is the upper half of a disk of radius a: \(\displaystyle 0 \leq x^2 + y^2 \leq a^2\) , \(\displaystyle y\) . The curve C is the boundary of D and oriented counter-clock wise.

I got an answer of 0 using the direct way:
Let x = acost, y = asint
F(t) = <a^2, asint>
F'(t) = <0, acost>

\(\displaystyle \int F \cdot dr = \int <a^2, asint> \cdot <0, acost>\)
\(\displaystyle = \int^{pi}_0 a^2sintcost dt\)
\(\displaystyle = \frac{1}{2}a^2sin^2t\)
\(\displaystyle = 0\)

For Green's Theorem, I should get the same number, but I got \(\displaystyle -\frac{4}{3}a^3\) and I have no idea where I went wrong.

\(\displaystyle \int \int (\frac{d}{dx}(y) - \frac{d}{dy}(x^2 + y^2)) dA\)
\(\displaystyle = \int \int -2y dA\)

Then I polarized the coordinates where y = rsin(theta)

\(\displaystyle \int^{\pi}_0 \int^a_0 -2rsin(\theta)r dr d(\theta)\)
\(\displaystyle = \int^{\pi}_0 -\frac{2}{3}r^3sin(\theta)\) 0 to a
\(\displaystyle = \int^{\pi}_0 -\frac{2}{3}a^3sin(\theta) d(\theta)\)
\(\displaystyle = \frac{2}{3}a^3cos(\theta) \) 0 to pi
\(\displaystyle = -\frac{4}{3}a^3\)

Physics news on Phys.org
tg25007 said:
8. The vector field and the region D is the upper half of a disk of radius a: \(\displaystyle 0 \leq x^2 + y^2 \leq a^2\) , \(\displaystyle y\) . The curve C is the boundary of D and oriented counter-clock wise.

Hello tg25007, welcome to MHB. I'd like to help you, but you don't mention $\vec{F}.$

tg25007 said:
8. Evaluate \(\displaystyle \int F \cdot dr\) both directly and by Green’s Theorem. The vector field and the region D is the upper half of a disk of radius a: \(\displaystyle 0 \leq x^2 + y^2 \leq a^2\) , \(\displaystyle y\) . The curve C is the boundary of D and oriented counter-clock wise.

I got an answer of 0 using the direct way:
Let $x = a\cos t, y = a\sin t $
$F(t) = <a^2, a\sin t>$
$F'(t) = <0, a\cos t>$

\(\displaystyle \int F \cdot dr = \int <a^2, a\sin t> \cdot <0, a\cos t>\)
\(\displaystyle = \int^{\pi}_0 a^2\sin t\cos t\, dt\)
\(\displaystyle = \frac{1}{2}a^2\sin^2t\)
\(\displaystyle = 0\)

For Green's Theorem, I should get the same number, but I got \(\displaystyle -\frac{4}{3}a^3\) and I have no idea where I went wrong.

\(\displaystyle \int \int (\frac{d}{dx}(y) - \frac{d}{dy}(x^2 + y^2)) dA\)
\(\displaystyle = \int \int -2y dA\)

Then I polarized the coordinates where y = rsin(theta)

\(\displaystyle \int^{\pi}_0 \int^a_0 -2r\sin(\theta)r\, dr d(\theta)\)
\(\displaystyle = \int^{\pi}_0 -\frac{2}{3}r^3\sin(\theta)\) 0 to a
\(\displaystyle = \int^{\pi}_0 -\frac{2}{3}a^3\sin(\theta)\, d(\theta)\)
\(\displaystyle = \frac{2}{3}a^3\cos(\theta) \) 0 to pi
\(\displaystyle = -\frac{4}{3}a^3\)
You have the correct result, $-\frac43a^3$, with the Green's theorem calculation, but you have messed up on the $\int F\cdot dr$ part. For a start, you need to have two integrals to go round the contour $C$, first round the semicircle and then along the $x$-axis. Next, you need to work out $\int F\cdot dr$ for each of those pieces of the contour. On the semicircle, you correctly have $F=(a^2,a\sin t).$ You don't need to differentiate $F$, but you should have $r = (a\cos t, a\sin t)$ and so $dr = (-a\sin t, a\cos t)dt.$ Take the dot product of that with $F$ and integrate from $0$ to $\pi.$ For the part of the contour that goes along the axis, you have $F = (t^2,0)$ and $r = (t,0)$ (with $t$ going from $-a$ to $a$). Add the two integrals together and you should get $-\frac43a^3$.

LaTeX tip: put a backslash before cos and sin, and a space after them, if you want them to display properly.

Last edited:
Opalg said:
LaTeX tip: put a backslash before cos and sin, and a space after them, if you want them to display properly.

Another $\LaTeX$ tip: for iterated integrals, it looks better if the differentials are separated by a
Code:
\,
space thus:
$$ \int_{a}^{b} \int_{c}^{d}x^{2} \,dx \,dy.$$

FAQ: Evaluate Integral by Green's Theorem

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral around a simple closed curve in the plane to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is named after British mathematician George Green.

2. How is Green's Theorem used in mathematics?

Green's Theorem is used to evaluate line integrals by converting them into double integrals, which are often easier to solve. It is commonly used in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving work, circulation, and flux.

3. What is the formula for Green's Theorem?

The formula for Green's Theorem is ∫CF·dr = ∬R(∂Q/∂x - ∂P/∂y)dA, where C is a simple closed curve, F is a vector field, and R is the region enclosed by the curve. P and Q are the components of the vector field F.

4. What are the requirements for using Green's Theorem?

To use Green's Theorem, the curve C must be a simple closed curve that is continuously differentiable, and the region R must be bounded and have a piecewise smooth boundary. Additionally, the vector field F must have continuous partial derivatives.

5. Can Green's Theorem be used in three dimensions?

No, Green's Theorem is only applicable in two dimensions. However, there are extensions of Green's Theorem, such as Stokes' Theorem and the Divergence Theorem, that can be used in three dimensions.