Evaluate Integral: Upper Limit Pie/3, Lower 0 - U-Substitution

• Thread starter clipzfan611
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral is frac{2}{3} \cdot (1+\sec x)^{\frac{3}{2}} and the bounds of integration are when x=0, u=2 & x=pie/3. If only have to change the bounds when you want to keep the u at the end, but sometimes just makes it more complicating.
clipzfan611

Homework Statement

Integral: Upper limit is pie/3, lower limit is 0. secxtanx(square root of 1+secx)dx

Sorry if this is confusing, I don't know how to use the real math symbols.

The Attempt at a Solution

I realized it is U-substitution and not the FTC.
u=1+secx dx=sextanx du
when x=0, u=2 & x=pie/3, u=3.
I don't really know what to do after that, I'm a total noob at u-sub. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/3} \sec x \tan x \sqrt{1+\sec x} dx[/tex].

Correct, let u = 1+sec x.

sec x tan x dx=du

So now its

[tex]\int \sqrt{u} du = \frac{2}{3} \cdot u^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

Replace back in u=1+sec x
The integral is [tex] \frac{2}{3} \cdot (1+\sec x)^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

Now just put back in the bounds of integration, as original, and evaluate. If only have to change the bounds when you want to keep the u at the end, but sometimes just makes it more complicating.

Edit: I am not bothering to see if you change your bounds correctly, just assuming they are, then you can sub in u=3 minus the u=2 of [tex] \frac{2}{3} \cdot u^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you.

I got:
2/3(3(radical 3)-2(radical 2)
Does that seem correct?

Which way did you get it? With the u's, or did you change back to the trig stuff?

with the u's it should be

[tex]\frac{2}{3}3^{\frac{3}{2}} - \frac{2}{3}2^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
In the first part, do you notice, ignore the factor of 2 right now, 3^(1.5) /3, that simplifies to root 3. doing simple things like that, you should have gotten [tex]2\sqrt{3} - \frac{4}{3}\sqrt{2}[/tex].

Gib Z said:
Which way did you get it? With the u's, or did you change back to the trig stuff?

with the u's it should be

[tex]\frac{2}{3}3^{\frac{3}{2}} - \frac{2}{3}2^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
In the first part, do you notice, ignore the factor of 2 right now, 3^(1.5) /3, that simplifies to root 3. doing simple things like that, you should have gotten [tex]2\sqrt{3} - \frac{4}{3}\sqrt{2}[/tex].

With the u's. Are you sure that you multiply 2/3 to both, or the difference of the two?

It should make no difference as the distributive property holds:
In other words
[tex]\frac{2}{3}(a-b) = \frac{2}{3}a - \frac{2}{3}b[/tex]

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
It should make no difference as the distributive property holds:
In other words
[tex]\frac{2}{3}(a-b) = \frac{2}{3}a - \frac{2}{3}b[/tex]

I figured because of the multiplication dot that you had to do what's in paranthesis first, but it wasnt subtractable so sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your help, you were really patient.

Your very welcome. I have all day, so no reason for me to be impatient :)

By the way, Welcome to Physicsforums !

FAQ: Evaluate Integral: Upper Limit Pie/3, Lower 0 - U-Substitution

1. What is the purpose of using u-substitution in this integral?

U-substitution is a technique used to simplify integrals by substituting a new variable, u, that makes the integral easier to solve. In this case, using u-substitution will allow us to rewrite the integral in terms of u, making it easier to evaluate.

2. How do you choose the appropriate u for u-substitution?

To choose the appropriate u, look for a function within the integral that is a derivative of another function that appears in the integral. In this case, the function inside the integral is cos(x), which is the derivative of sin(x). Therefore, we will let u = sin(x) for our u-substitution.

3. What is the value of the upper and lower limits in this integral?

The upper limit in this integral is π/3 and the lower limit is 0. These limits indicate the range of values we will be evaluating the integral over.

4. How do you solve this integral using u-substitution?

To solve this integral using u-substitution, we first substitute u = sin(x). Then, we can rewrite the integral in terms of u, simplify it, and solve for the new limits of integration. Finally, we substitute the original variable, x, back into the equation to get the final answer.

5. Can this integral be solved without u-substitution?

Yes, it is possible to solve this integral without using u-substitution. However, using u-substitution can simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It is always beneficial to use techniques that make integration easier and more efficient.