Evaluate limit relation between variables in Mathematica

In summary, the syntax for evaluating a limit of a function in Mathematica is Limit[function, variable-> value]. To evaluate a limit at a specific point, you can use the Direction option in the Limit command. Limits of multivariable functions can also be evaluated using the same syntax. To check for the existence of a limit, use the LimitExists command. Infinite limits can be evaluated by specifying the variable and its corresponding value as Infinity in the Limit command.
mvww
Hello.
How do I evaluate, in Mathematica, limits like this:
"X+Y" when X is much bigger than Y, i.e., when Y/X->0. The unswer should be X+Y->X.

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never seen Mathematica take limits with respect to an expression. All the examples I've seen take limits with respect to a variable.

Perhaps you could see how to use this:

In[1]:= x+y/.y->10.^-100x

Out[1]= 1. x

I always just use a scale variable and expand.

let z = x/y:

F[x_, y_] := x + y
Normal[Series[F[x, z x], {z, 0, 0}]]

Related to Evaluate limit relation between variables in Mathematica

1. What is the syntax for evaluating a limit of a function in Mathematica?

The syntax for evaluating a limit of a function in Mathematica is Limit[function, variable-> value]. This indicates the function to be evaluated and the variable and value that the function approaches.

2. How can I evaluate a limit at a specific point rather than approaching from both sides?

To evaluate a limit at a specific point in Mathematica, you can use the Direction option in the Limit command. For example, Limit[function, variable-> value, Direction-> "FromAbove"] evaluates the limit from the positive direction only.

3. Can I evaluate limits of multivariable functions in Mathematica?

Yes, you can evaluate limits of multivariable functions in Mathematica using the same syntax as for single variable functions. Simply specify the variable and its corresponding value for each variable in the Limit command.

4. How do I check for the existence of a limit in Mathematica?

You can use the LimitExists command in Mathematica to check if a limit exists for a given function and variable. The command returns True if the limit exists and False if it does not.

5. Is it possible to evaluate infinite limits in Mathematica?

Yes, it is possible to evaluate infinite limits in Mathematica using the Limit command. Simply specify the variable and its corresponding value as Infinity in the command. For example, Limit[function, x -> Infinity] evaluates the limit as x approaches infinity.