Evaluate the energies of muonic K X rays in Fe

In summary, the energies of muonic K X rays in Fe can be evaluated using the equation \Delta E= \frac{2Z^{4}e^{2}R^{2}}{5(4 \pi \varepsilon_{o})a_{o}^{3}}, where R=R_{o}A^{1/3}, and taking into account the difference in mass between the electron and muon. This results in energies within the expected range of 1.3 MeV +/- .1 MeV.
Demon117

Homework Statement

Using a 1 electron model, evaluate the energies of the muonic K X rays in Fe assuming a point nucleus.

Homework Equations

The [itex]\Delta E[/itex] is the difference between energy of the 1s state in an atom with a "point" nucleus and the 1s energy in an atom with uniformly charged nucleus. The equation is found to be

[itex]\Delta E= \frac{2Z^{4}e^{2}R^{2}}{5(4 \pi \varepsilon_{o})a_{o}^{3}}[/itex]

[itex]R=R_{o}A^{1/3}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The muon is a particle identical to the electron in all characteristics except its mass, which is 207 times the electron mass. Since the Bohr radius depends only on the mass, the muonic orbits have 1/207 the radius of the corresponding electron orbits.

So, this means that the Bohr radius of a muon will be [itex]a_{\mu}=\frac{1}{207}a_{o}[/itex]. By that logic, we should have:

[itex]\Delta E= \frac{2Z^{4}e^{2}(R_{o}A^{1/3})^{2}}{5(4 \pi \varepsilon_{o})(\frac{1}{207}a_{o})^{3}}[/itex]

By substitution. . . . when I do this, I end up with energies far below what is expected in the muonic k x rays in some Fe isotopes, maybe my thinking is incorrect. Could someone lend a hand? I have been doing a lot of HW this weekend and I think I am at my breaking point.

Physics news on Phys.org
matumich26 said:

Homework Statement

Using a 1 electron model, evaluate the energies of the muonic K X rays in Fe assuming a point nucleus.

Homework Equations

The [itex]\Delta E[/itex] is the difference between energy of the 1s state in an atom with a "point" nucleus and the 1s energy in an atom with uniformly charged nucleus. The equation is found to be

[itex]\Delta E= \frac{2Z^{4}e^{2}R^{2}}{5(4 \pi \varepsilon_{o})a_{o}^{3}}[/itex]

[itex]R=R_{o}A^{1/3}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The muon is a particle identical to the electron in all characteristics except its mass, which is 207 times the electron mass. Since the Bohr radius depends only on the mass, the muonic orbits have 1/207 the radius of the corresponding electron orbits.

So, this means that the Bohr radius of a muon will be [itex]a_{\mu}=\frac{1}{207}a_{o}[/itex]. By that logic, we should have:

[itex]\Delta E= \frac{2Z^{4}e^{2}(R_{o}A^{1/3})^{2}}{5(4 \pi \varepsilon_{o})(\frac{1}{207}a_{o})^{3}}[/itex]

By substitution. . . . when I do this, I end up with energies far below what is expected in the muonic k x rays in some Fe isotopes, maybe my thinking is incorrect. Could someone lend a hand? I have been doing a lot of HW this weekend and I think I am at my breaking point.

Realized I need to use Mosley's law for this and note that the transition is from the P(3/2) to the 1s(1/2) state, and adjusting for the muon mass in the Rydberg constant the energy falls right within where we expect, about 1.3 MeV +/- .1 MeV.

Related to Evaluate the energies of muonic K X rays in Fe

1. What are muonic K X rays?

Muonic K X rays are electromagnetic radiation emitted by an atom when one of its inner shell electrons is replaced by a muon, which is a heavier version of an electron. This process is known as muonic atom capture and results in the emission of X rays with a characteristic energy.

2. How are the energies of muonic K X rays evaluated?

The energies of muonic K X rays are evaluated using the Rydberg formula, which relates the energy of an X ray to the atomic number of the element and the difference in energy between the muonic and electronic energy levels.

3. Why is it important to evaluate the energies of muonic K X rays in Fe?

Evaluating the energies of muonic K X rays in Fe allows us to better understand the electron structure of iron atoms and the interactions between muons and atomic nuclei. This information can be used in various fields such as materials science, nuclear physics, and astrophysics.

4. What factors can affect the energies of muonic K X rays in Fe?

The energies of muonic K X rays in Fe can be affected by factors such as the atomic number of the element, the energy levels of the muon and electron, and the strength of the nuclear force.

5. How can the energies of muonic K X rays in Fe be experimentally measured?

The energies of muonic K X rays in Fe can be experimentally measured using techniques such as X-ray spectroscopy or muonic atom capture spectroscopy. These methods involve bombarding a sample of Fe atoms with muons and detecting the emitted X rays to determine their energies.