Evaluate the following double integral

In summary, the conversation is about changing the order of integration and evaluating a double integral. The integral is simplified using integration by parts, but there is confusion about using the chain rule. The expert summarizer suggests using the chain rule and provides clarification on how to do so.
Piney1

Homework Statement

Change the order of integration and evaluate the following double integral:

[tex]I = {\int_0^{1} \left({\int\limits_{y}^{1}
30 y\sqrt{1+x^3} \mathrm{d}x }\right) {\mathrm{d}y} [/tex]

So thenn i did

[tex] = 30 \int_0^{1} \sqrt{1+x^3} \left({\int_0^{x} y \mathrm{d}y}\right) \mathrm{d}x [/tex]

[tex]= 30 \int_0^{1} \sqrt{1+x^3} \left(\frac{x^2}{2} \right) \mathrm{d}x \end{align}[/tex]

using integration by parts...

for [tex] \sqrt{1+x^3} [/tex]
[tex] let u = \sqrt{1+x^3} \qquad du= \frac{1}{2} \left(\sqrt{1+x^3}\right) 3x^2 = \frac{3x^2}{2\sqrt{1+x^3}} \qquad dv = dx \qquad v = x [/tex]

Thus!

[tex] = x \sqrt{1+x^3} - \int \frac{3x^3}{2\sqrt{1+x^3}} \mathrm{d}x [/tex]

after that... i have no clue what to do. a lil help? thanks! :smile:
am i on the right track though?

Physics news on Phys.org

Why use IBP at all? What is [itex]\frac{d}{dx}(1+x^3)^{3/2}[/itex]?:wink:

don't we need to worry bout what's inside the bracket? when differentiating? :rolleyes:

Of course, use the chain rule.

OHHHHHHHHH!
ahh dear.. i sure do love to make things complicated.. :smile:

Thanks heaps! and there i was looking at tht question for hrs...:blushing:

Related to Evaluate the following double integral

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral that involves calculating the area under a two-dimensional function over a specified region on a coordinate plane.

What does it mean to evaluate a double integral?

Evaluating a double integral means finding the numerical value of the integral by performing a series of calculations using mathematical techniques and formulas.

What is the process of evaluating a double integral?

The process of evaluating a double integral involves first setting up the integral in terms of two variables, then finding the limits of integration for each variable and determining the order of integration. Next, the integral is solved using appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

What are the applications of double integrals in science?

Double integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate physical quantities such as volume, mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate joint probabilities and expected values.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a double integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a double integral include forgetting to include the appropriate limits of integration, using the wrong order of integration, and making errors in algebraic calculations. It is also important to carefully consider the given region and adjust the limits of integration accordingly to ensure an accurate evaluation.