Evaluate the sum (1) ( 2 problems )

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the purpose of evaluating a sum is to find the total value of a set of numbers added together. The steps involved in evaluating a sum are: identifying the numbers to be added, arranging them in the correct order, adding the numbers together, and simplifying the final answer, if necessary. An arithmetic sum involves adding a constant value to each term, while a geometric sum involves multiplying each term by a constant value. Evaluating sums is used in various real-life applications such as finance, engineering, and physics. To check if a sum is correct, you can use a calculator or solve it manually by following the steps mentioned earlier. Additionally, you can compare your answer to a known or estimated value to ensure accuracy.
shamieh
Evaluate the sum
\(\displaystyle
\sum_{i=2}^{99}((i + 1)^2 - i^2))\)

So I found the pattern and got
\(\displaystyle
((3^2) - 2^2)) + ((4)^2 - (3)^2)) + ((5^2) - (4)^2)\) ... etc etc

\(\displaystyle 100^2 -2^2 = 9,996?\) Is this correct?

#2 Evaluate the sum

\(\displaystyle
\sum_{i=2}^{100}(i^2 -(i - 2)^2) \)

and got: \(\displaystyle 100^2 + 99^2 - 1 = 19,800\). Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are correct. Here are alternate approaches:

1.) \(\displaystyle S=\sum_{k=2}^{99}\left((k+1)^2-k^2 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle S=\sum_{k=2}^{99}\left(2k+1 \right)=99(100)-2+98=9996\)

2.) \(\displaystyle S=\sum_{k=2}^{100}\left(k^2-(k-2)^2 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle S=4\sum_{k=1}^{99}\left(k \right)=2\cdot99(100)=19800\)

FAQ: Evaluate the sum (1) ( 2 problems )

What is the purpose of evaluating a sum?

The purpose of evaluating a sum is to find the total value of a set of numbers added together. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

What are the steps involved in evaluating a sum?

The steps involved in evaluating a sum are: 1) identifying the numbers to be added, 2) arranging them in the correct order, 3) adding the numbers together, and 4) simplifying the final answer, if necessary.

What is the difference between an arithmetic sum and a geometric sum?

An arithmetic sum involves adding a constant value to each term, while a geometric sum involves multiplying each term by a constant value. In other words, the difference between consecutive terms in an arithmetic sum is the same, while the ratio between consecutive terms in a geometric sum is the same.

What are some real-life applications of evaluating sums?

Evaluating sums is used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the total cost of a project, the total force acting on an object, or the total energy output of a system.

How can I check if my sum is correct?

To check if a sum is correct, you can use a calculator or solve it manually by following the steps mentioned earlier. Additionally, you can compare your answer to a known or estimated value to ensure accuracy.