Evaluate the value of the product

In summary, the conversation discusses the solutions to the equations $a^3-3ab^2=2005$ and $b^3-3b^2a=2004$, which are given by the three pairs of roots $(a_1,\,b_1),\,(a_2,\,b_2),\,(a_3,\,b_3)$. The question then asks to evaluate the expression $\left(\dfrac{b_3-a_3}{b_3}\right)\left(\dfrac{b_2-a_2}{b_2}\right)\left(\dfrac{b_1-a_1}{b_1}\right)$, and there was a
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
The three pairs of roots $(a,\,b)$ that satisfy $a^3-3ab^2=2005$ and $b^3-3b^2a=2004$ are $(a_1,\,b_1),\,(a_2,\,b_2),\,(a_3,\,b_3)$.

Evaluate $\left(\dfrac{b_3-a_3}{b_3}\right)\left(\dfrac{b_2-a_2}{b_2}\right)\left(\dfrac{b_1-a_1}{b_1}\right)$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$a^3-3ab^2=2005---(1)$
$b^3-3b^2a=2004---(2)$
(2)-(1) and simplify we get :$(b-a)^3=-1,\,\ or\\, (b-a)=-1--(3)$
put (3) to (2) we get :$2b^3+3b^2+2004=0---(4)$
$b_3-a_3=b_2-a_2=b_1-a_1=b-a=-1$
and $b_1b_2b_3=-1002$
$\therefore $ the answer =$\dfrac {1}{1002}$

I have a question to Albert, because I do not quite understand his deduction:
The equations
\[a^3-3ab^2 = 2005\: \: \: \: \: (1). \\\\ b^3-3b^2a = 2004\: \: \: \: \: (2).\]
lead to:
\[b^3-a^3 = -1 \: \: \:\: (3).\]
and not to:
\[(b-a)^3 = -1\]
- because there is not the term $3a^2b$ in either (1) or (2)??
Thanks for clearing the matter

I think (1) should be :$a^3-3a^2b=2005$

Ops...I previously received a PM that notified me of the possible typo that I could have made, but I thought he mentioned of the constant value, apparently Albert was right, the first equation has a typo in it, and his intuition was right as well. :eek:

Sorry for both the late reply and late clarification post. :(

kaliprasad said:

In our guidelines for posting solutions, we state:

"Please do not give a link to another site as a means of providing a solution, either by the author of the topic posted here, or by someone responding with a solution."

We don't want our readers to have to follow a link to view a solution. :D

Related to Evaluate the value of the product

What is the purpose of evaluating the value of a product?

Evaluating the value of a product is important for businesses to determine its success and make informed decisions about pricing, marketing, and production. It helps determine the product's worth to consumers and its impact on the market.

What factors should be considered when evaluating the value of a product?

Factors such as production costs, competition, consumer demand, and market trends should be taken into account when evaluating the value of a product. Other factors may include the product's quality, uniqueness, and perceived benefits to the consumer.

How can the value of a product be measured?

The value of a product can be measured in various ways, such as through market research, surveys, sales data, and customer feedback. Other methods may include comparing the product's features and benefits to similar products in the market and analyzing its impact on the company's overall revenue and profits.

Why is it important to regularly evaluate the value of a product?

Regular evaluation of a product's value allows businesses to stay competitive and adapt to changing market conditions. It also helps identify areas for improvement and potential opportunities for growth. Regular evaluation can also help businesses make informed decisions about product updates, pricing strategies, and marketing efforts.

What are the benefits of evaluating the value of a product?

Evaluating the value of a product can lead to several benefits for businesses, including improved decision making, increased profitability, and better understanding of consumer needs and preferences. It can also help businesses identify areas for cost savings and potential for expansion into new markets.