Evaluating a double integral in polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to change a cartesian integral into an integral in polar coordinates and then evaluate it. The correct bounds for the theta integral are 0 to 2pi, not 0 to pi. The final answer is pi*a^2.
skate_nerd
I've done this problem and I have a feeling it's incorrect. I've never done a problem like this so I am kind of confused on how else to go about doing it. The goal is to change the cartesian integral
$$\int_{-a}^{a}\int_{-\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\,dy\,dx$$
into an integral in polar coordinates and then evaluate it.
Changing to polar coordinates I got the integral
$$\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{-a}^{a}r\,dr\,d\theta$$
and evaluating this integral I ended up with an integrand of 0 to integrate with respect to \(d\theta\) and I wasn't entirely sure how to integrate that so I thought it might just be \(\pi\).
I really feel like there's no way that answer could be correct, seeing as the integral is of half a circle with radius \(a\) and the answer has nothing to do with \(a\). If someone could let me know where I went wrong that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: evaluating a double integral in polar coordinates

Since you are integrating over an entire circle of radius |a| centred at (0, 0), that means the angle swept out is actually \(\displaystyle \displaystyle 2\pi \), which means your \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \theta \) bounds are actually 0 to \(\displaystyle \displaystyle 2\pi \).

skatenerd said:
I've done this problem and I have a feeling it's incorrect. I've never done a problem like this so I am kind of confused on how else to go about doing it. The goal is to change the cartesian integral
$$\int_{-a}^{a}\int_{-\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\,dy\,dx$$
into an integral in polar coordinates and then evaluate it.
Changing to polar coordinates I got the integral
$$\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{-a}^{a}r\,dr\,d\theta$$
and evaluating this integral I ended up with an integrand of 0 to integrate with respect to \(d\theta\) and I wasn't entirely sure how to integrate that so I thought it might just be \(\pi\).
I really feel like there's no way that answer could be correct, seeing as the integral is of half a circle with radius \(a\) and the answer has nothing to do with \(a\). If someone could let me know where I went wrong that would be great.

The bounds of the inner integral are 0 and a, not -a and a so that is...

$\displaystyle S= \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} \int_{0}^{a} r\ d r\ d \theta = \pi\ a^{2}$ (1)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks guys. I didn't recognize initially that the bounds of the original integral are describing the area of a whole circle. Pretty cool problem now that I get it!

Related to Evaluating a double integral in polar coordinates

1. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in a two-dimensional polar coordinate system. It involves integrating a function over a region in the polar plane, where the limits of integration are expressed in terms of polar coordinates (radius and angle).

2. How is a double integral in polar coordinates different from a regular double integral?

In a regular double integral, the limits of integration are given in terms of Cartesian coordinates (x and y). In a double integral in polar coordinates, the limits are given in terms of polar coordinates (radius and angle). This allows for the integration of functions that are not easily expressed in Cartesian coordinates, such as circular or spiral shapes.

3. What is the process for evaluating a double integral in polar coordinates?

The process for evaluating a double integral in polar coordinates involves converting the function to polar form, determining the bounds of integration in terms of radius and angle, and then integrating the function over the given region. This can be done in multiple steps, breaking the integral into smaller parts if necessary. The final result will be a single numerical value representing the area under the curve.

4. What are some common applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the moments of inertia of objects with rotational symmetry, such as cylinders or spheres. They are also used in calculating the electric and gravitational fields of objects with circular or spherical symmetry.

5. What are some techniques for solving difficult double integrals in polar coordinates?

Some techniques for solving difficult double integrals in polar coordinates include using symmetry to simplify the integral, transforming the function to a simpler form, or using trigonometric identities to rewrite the integrand. It is also helpful to break the integral into smaller parts and evaluate them separately, or to use numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or Monte Carlo integration.